Suggestions for Insulation, rooftop fan, idea?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Suggestions for Insulation, rooftop fan, idea?

Postby EnduroFit » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi,

I'm Brent and new to the forum. I purchased a one-off designed trailer, mostly for camping and hauling gear for our middle/hs mountain bike team. I've already camped in it twice, and I'm looking for ideas on insulation, maybe adding a rooftop fan, as well as electrical for the fan, usb plug, etc. I think the 2 guys did a great job building it, and I wanted something small enough to fit in my driveway, as I'm renting a garage apartment and didn't want to take up too much space. I'm the only one who uses the driveway so bonus to me!

The main frame is 2x2 tube steel, the skeleton is 1x1 tube steel, aluminum skin. It has a 5/8 plywood floor, It's waterproof and sealed well, it has one small window to keep open when inside, however, I made a nice magnetic rimmed net to go around the side door for future use. It pulls exceptionally well, with a full load of gear and only weighs about 480# empty. I'm able to drive in/out of the sloped driveway with ease(some hitch scrape), and it's easily moveable by hand.

Dimensions; 45"W, 70"L on floor, 84" inside to front of nose, 30" high at back door, 45" high at side door.
Other; 2000# Timbren axleless axles, 175/80-13 tires. SCRUTT-Sport Compact Recreational Utility Touring Trailer. haha...his name for it. Very unique.

The only issue I'm having is condensation with doors closed, even with a somewhat powerful battery operated fan blowing. The screen should help, as I'll have a tarp overhead so I won't have to worry about rain coming in when the door is left open.

Any suggestions on maybe running a gel battery and wiring for better fan(ceiling), more lights, keeping it waterproof if I do the ceiling fan/vent?? Insulate and cover with nice beadboard or paneling? I'm somewhat crafty and like projects, but most of ya'll are experienced with this stuff. My parents have a 38ft travel trailer and we used to camp all the time growing up so I knew the bug would hit sooner than later! :thumbsup:
Attachments
20170418_155455.jpg
20170418_155455.jpg (312.62 KiB) Viewed 941 times
20170331_150124.jpg
20170331_150124.jpg (285.25 KiB) Viewed 941 times
20170331_152716.jpg
20170331_152716.jpg (204.2 KiB) Viewed 941 times
EnduroFit
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Suggestions for Insulation, rooftop fan, idea?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:08 pm

Given the volume of your trailer you really do not need a lot of fan. There have been a couple of threads on how to slow down a Fantastic Fan.
In my case I have a Fantastic Fan roof hatch and went with two three speed Antec computer case fans. They are quiet and we seldom run them on more than medium speed they also draw a LOT less current.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby EnduroFit » Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Given the volume of your trailer you really do not need a lot of fan. There have been a couple of threads on how to slow down a Fantastic Fan.
In my case I have a Fantastic Fan roof hatch and went with two three speed Antec computer case fans. They are quiet and we seldom run them on more than medium speed they also draw a LOT less current.

Thanks for the input! I'm going to go with 2 computer fans.

Brent
EnduroFit
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greygoos » Fri May 05, 2017 5:05 am

Putting in some foam backed headliner on your ceiling and or walls will help with condensation also. You could also try some cheap speaker rug to fill in between the frame. Glue it on rigid insulation and mount it between the frame members. I would suggest using velcro to see if you like the look first.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby EnduroFit » Fri May 12, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks, greygoos. I was probably going to use 1/4in foam insulation and cover, the fb headliner is a possibility and inexpensive. Will definitely try a color or two with velcro first. Thanks again.
EnduroFit
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques