diffrent door approach

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

diffrent door approach

Postby theshanester » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:28 pm

I was going to build my own doors for my latest build like the previous 2 using luan on both sides if stick frame while walking thru lowes I found interior door slabs made from luan and framing
just wandering g if this wouldwork if I painted or used the "mix"on it and painting
theshanester
Teardrop Inspector

Re: diffrent door approach

Postby Noreast » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Not a bad idea... I don't see why it wouldn't work with proper treatment (paint, poly, etc)

the out of pocket cost for pre-made rv doors is kind of a lot, And building your own from scratch is also a kind of a pain in the ass... This seems like it could be a good option for those building on a tighter budget

I wonder how much of a pain it would be to drop a window into the door.. That's the only downside I can really think of (lack of window)
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Re: diffrent door approach

Postby Redneck Packrat » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Noreast wrote:Not a bad idea... I don't see why it wouldn't work with proper treatment (paint, poly, etc)

I wonder how much of a pain it would be to drop a window into the door.. That's the only downside I can really think of (lack of window)

Putting a window in one of those hollow core doors is fairly easy. Cut it to fit the skins, and it's pretty easy to dig out whatever between the skins stuff there might be (cardboard, foam, whatever) and just cut some sticks to go in there as spreaders for the skin, the same thickness as the frame, which you can measure at the edge of the door.

And they do last okay. I've done that before on rent houses where there was just an excuse of a rain deflector, and they've lasted for years at a time. With a good doping of the mix and finishing it off with full strength of some sort, it'll last quite a while!
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques