3/4" Insulation Unavailable - What Now?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: 3/4" Insulation Unavailable - What Now?

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm

pchast wrote:John,

Have yo looked at foamys at all... :thinking:
If you glue that 1.5 in. foam to the skins you will
only need some blocks to screw things too in the foam.
The skeleton would be unnecessary.

There's lots of reasons some of us prefer building a teardrop using wooden skeletons walls.

:thumbsup: Strong, lightweight and they'll last for generations if properly constructed.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dwoody » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:15 pm

mahai217 wrote:So, I decided to build my TD with 1/4" skin, 3/4" skeleton and insulation, and 1/8" or 1/4" interior skin. I purchased Steve Frederick's Shop Manual and working through it and have even bought some of the lumber. I've tried sourcing the insulation but can not find any within 100 miles -- maybe more.

Any ideas? What about getting 1 1/2" and slicing it in half (thickness -- from 1 1/2" to two sheets of 3/4")? Any ideas on how to do this?

I live in the Boise, Idaho area.

Thanks again!

John
:NC

I believe lowes and home depot sell 3/4 Styrofoam.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
dwoody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EZ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:18 am

Resurecting this thread as I am unable to source any 3/4" rigid foamboard unless I order 128 sheets. I need a bit less than that for my camper build..... I checked the Owens-Corning (the pink stuff) website and 3/4" isn't even listed it appears. Checked Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Fleet Farm, etc. I am so bummed; making sandwich walls using 1 X material was so easy with that stuff. Am I missing something here? I can use Styrofoam but lose so much strength with that.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Tjtom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Not sure where you're located but Menards in Indiana has the 3/4 " pink stuff"

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Tjtom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:25 pm

EZ wrote:Resurecting this thread as I am unable to source any 3/4" rigid foamboard unless I order 128 sheets. I need a bit less than that for my camper build..... I checked the Owens-Corning (the pink stuff) website and 3/4" isn't even listed it appears. Checked Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Fleet Farm, etc. I am so bummed; making sandwich walls using 1 X material was so easy with that stuff. Am I missing something here? I can use Styrofoam but lose so much strength with that.

Ed

We had the same problem. I decided to build a hot wire foam cutter to trim 1" thick pieces to match the plywood:

154833 154839

Probably best to cut with the windows open, that smoke can't be too good.

154838 154840

This is a modern (and safer) version of something my Dad used in the 60's to cut model airplane wings. There are several web sites with directions. I bought the transformer and wire from: http://www.jacobs-online.biz/

I used something they sold called Rene 41 wire, which is stronger but springier than nichrome. I wore safety goggles while working with it. Built the bow 6 feet long, which is a little unwieldy, but should work to trim our ceiling insulation. The wire expands when hot, so the bow has rubber bands to keep tension. I made the slippery washers out of a plastic creamer container.

154837 154836 154835

Just used the quarter inch scrap of foam last weekend, along with some of the scrap 1" material, to insulate the garage doors.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby EZ » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:52 pm

I am relying too much on the interweb..... Went to Menards, they have 136 sheets of pink 3/4" foamboard outdoors........

In other words, never mind. :oops:
EZ
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques