Fredericks Style Hatch Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Fredericks Style Hatch Question

Postby Dirtclod » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:23 am

Morning TNTTT

I know .. another hatch question. Sorry, I am getting closer to building the hatch and I may have already messed up :oops:

In the book he had both the inside skin and the outside skin glued on when he cut out the side for the hatch. I didn't have the inner skin on my wall when I cut the sides out for the hatch. I added the 1/8 spacer then glued and screwed the inner 3/4 piece for the gasket. When I hold the pieces together it seems like there will not be enough gap between the side of the hatch and the 1/2 in inner wall.

I hope this makes sense. Maybe a pic or two will help

This is side wall. I took a pen and tried to draw the separation lines between the inner 1/2 wall and the 1/8 spacer and outer walls. So you can see from left to right, the 1/2 inner galley wall, the 1/8 spacer, the 3/4 skeleton wall and the 1/8 outer skin ( I know .. it needs some sanding and some epoxy filler too)

This is the hatch sitting on the wall. Again I tired to use a pen to highlight the layers. Again from left to right, the 3/4 inch spacer, 3/4 outer wall and 1/8 skin.

Question is can I just add another 1/8 layer to the inside of the hatch ? Or will I need to rebuild this with the spacer in the proper place?

Or will it all work out since I didn't have the inner skin on both pieces?

Any help you can give is VERY welcome :beer:
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Re: Fredericks Style Hatch Question

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Without seeing how your hatch end piece mates with the wall and inner galley, I can't say.

You have to have an eighth-inch gap––on either side––when the hatch is closed over the inner galley lip. Study Steve's example on the page where it says, "Build the Seal Channel." It's the third horizontal page on the hatch build.

Holler if you can't find that page... or need some more help.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dirtclod » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:45 am

Tony,

Thanks for the reply. After looking at the diagram again and again, I should be OK since I don't have the inner 1/8 skin on either the wall of the hatch ends. I do have the 1/8 spacer in place for the gap on the outside of the hatch end and the 3/4 spacer for the channel will give me the other 1/8 inch between the spacer and the gusset. :worship:

Being my first build I have found MANY things that I would have done differently or at least in a different order.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Making Sawdust and Making Progress.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 am

I should be OK since I don't have the inner 1/8 skin on either the wall of the hatch ends.

Sounds right to me. I do think Steve's hatch method makes for a superior seal.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques