Any Cure for Springback?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Any Cure for Springback?

Postby rtimesr » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Just bought this neat little TT and the hatch has sprung back. I would guess it has released by about 3/8-1/2" at the bottom in increased chord length. The side ribs are exposed when closed and is unfinished plywood. Maybe it got wet sometime or another. Sheathing is laminate both inside and out. I think there are 4 inner cross supports parallel with the hinge. Can this be reformed in place? Perhaps by soaking the outer side ribs and putting a little chord like tension (sideways D) on it? Or is time to resign myself to a bungee cord for hold down? Check Hall of Fame, (Tinas Tiny Trailer) for a profile photo. Thanks for all the expert advice.
rtimesr
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Any Cure for Springback?

Postby kramergwt » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Thought... what if you laminated a couple ribs that are slightly under radius that work against your spring back problem and add them to the inside. My hatch is an exact 48" radius and I am about to start ribs on a jig that was pretty easy to make.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Adjustable draw latches might be able to pull the uncurl out(?). The ones linked have provision for a padlock, others are available w/o. I think Zach (absolutsnwbrdr) has/had a supply of some really nice billet style ones with keyed locks incorporated (though I don't recall if the draw length on those are adjustable).

https://www.mcmaster.com/#1807a62/=1bhyyny
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Yep, drawlatches.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 am

I've bowed panels with a wire rope and turnbuckles. I don't know if you could go from hinge edge to deck edge in a straight line or not, bit some eyes or plates to attach 1/8" wire rope and a pair of turnbuckles. Would allow "tightening" it over time - a little bit every day or every other day.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 pm

• If your hatch is too thin to mount regular draw-latches, maybe a right-angle latch will do. I use two of these on my squareback TTT, in conjunction with a set of flexible Masterlock hasps. I originally used just the hasps, but found that the lower portion of my hatch wasn't closing hard enough against my seal to eliminate dust from entering on the road, so I added these draw-latches.
  • right-angle draw latch, and hasp.png
    right-angle draw latch, and hasp.png (811.23 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
  • I put aluminum plate underneath them, glued and screwed to the 3/4" plywood sides and hatch, to be able to use stronger, longer screws. I use large locks on my hasps, and smaller locks on the draw-latches, but in camp, only the draw-latches are used. They are self-locking, with a release pin to pull when you wish to open them (though they are listed on Amazon, where I twice have bought them, as non-locking).
  • right-angle locking draw-latch from Amazon.JPG
    right-angle locking draw-latch from Amazon.JPG (95.84 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques