Making Paper Trace-outs for Foam Insulation w/Alumized Film

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Making Paper Trace-outs for Foam Insulation w/Alumized Film

Postby ssuuki19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:08 pm

My searches aren't returning anything back on this but I'm sure its covered somewhere (probably using the wrong words)... I'm preparing to do the insulation install in the next weeks and it occurred to me today that with some down-time on the main tasks, I could trace out all the insulation panels with paper, so that cutting the panels will be easier. Most of the panels will be rectangular(ish) but on the roof line those pieces will have curved lines in them, and I really want to make sure those curves are mirrored well onto the paper.
I'm wondering before I start this if anyone has any suggestions about this specifically regarding:
-tracing paper.. should I buy a certain type?
-tracing method.. it looks straightforward but I'm sure there are some do's and don'ts
I know the green painting tape will be the best to work with during this task.
Any experience/advice appreciated!

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Re: Making Paper Trace-outs for Foam Insulation w/Alumized F

Postby Esteban » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:09 am

Making paper patterns for cutting out rectangular pieces of foam insulation seems like unnecessary extra work. I used a tape measure, a drywall square and a utility knife to measure and cut out foam insulation. If a piece of foam needed a little shaving off the utility knife works well for that. Sometimes I used a drywall joint knife to help fit/pursued snug pieces of foam into place. I prefer cutting out snug fitting pieces of foam to eliminate ill fitting, loose, gaps between the foam and inner framework.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby ssuuki19 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Thx for the input - I did go the direction of what you were saying, trying it out on two panels, and it did work out really well. I was being a bit timid seeing how much I spent on this insulation and not wanting to mess up on panels but I did just gather some simpler tools, cutting knife, sharpies, tape measure, 6" metal ruler, and an angle scriber. The two panels installed really well, however they don't have curves in them.
So I'm skipping the trace pieces - if I could go back I would have made them when the walls were separate laying on their sides as it would have been really easy. But I'm just gonna take it slow and do the more complicated curved pieces last, since I'm new at this.

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 am

Perhaps on the curved pieces just cut them a bit oversize to start, hold them up, bump the curved edge with a your palm just enough to make a mark, w/o crushing the foam, then trim to the line?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques