Arne'sAllWoodTD

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Arne'sAllWoodTD

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:56 pm

I'm new to this group. A TearDrop was mentioned on the Honda Odyssey forum. I did some looking and have decided to build a t/d. I've ordered plans, mainly for guidance. My plan is to build on my utility trailer, which is 4x8, but I think I'll go to 5x9 for a bit of extra room. This will create some additional complexity.

Main questions are about all wood construction. I don't plan to have it last forever, but 10 years would be nice. Outside finish would be white exterior paint, with a bit of roof overhang on the sides (1 inch to keep water off joint).

My one month trip south begins in early October, so I have to get going, and hope the plans will help.

One big question is how a rear hatch is kept waterproof at the roof hinge area. Is there a flap over the hinge, or is it the hinge itself that is waterproof.....

..... thank you for any comments.

The woodwork is not a problem. Will have to get a few windows and a roof vent.. it will be quite basic given the time restraints...

I will be reading some of the numerous notes but did not want to get lost in all the topics, so figured I'd start my own. And I'm sure all this has been answered before, but this may help me consolidate everything.

I'd really like to use a wood roof, built up of 2, 1/4" inch thick pieces of ply so I can bend them over a radius.

One big thing is air resistance. The TD will be same height/width as ody van. No one seems to bow the sides in at the front to reduce air resistance... has anyone tried....

And covering the roof would be nice (aluminum or plastic, have even thought about coroplast), but don't have a clue about materials and sources....... how is the aluminum corner bead (roof to side) contoured without it buckling..... or is well maintained wood good enough?

Well, now I'll go and start reading... This should be a very interesting project.... and thank you for any comments.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:06 pm

The 5x9 is a good choice... You'll appreciate the room you have to turn around in there. My current project is a 5x 9 1/2' Weekender, which is built on a 5x8 trailer. You can see the information for that here

http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender

Wood can last a very long time if you do it right. I suggest Uniflex 255 on top of CPES. Both can be purchased here...
http://www.rotdoctor.com/poly/polymain.html

October doesn't give you much time to build. My first two teardrops took 6 months each... of course I worked on weekends, and not every weekend. You might have more time to spend on it...

The hinge used on the hatch is typically a huricane hinge, and it typically stands proud of the side walls by 1/4" to 1/2" to let the water run off the side. You can get those hinges from Grant Whipp here
http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/parts.html

You're right, there is a lot of information in these messages... you can either just start reading, or you can use the search function to look for specifics. And if all else fails, just ask!

Mike...

P.S. What style are you planning on building? And I see you're from CT. I was just there for the Mystic Gathering...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:30 pm

At this point, given the time, it will be a basic t/d. One door, and unless I really tear through it, I won't put the hatch in before the trip. I MAY fiberglass the top. I did that on my homemade house boat once and it worked real well (a lot of mess, though).

The plan is eventually to make the rear hatch large enough to load my motor scooter in, with fold up bunks. That would make the kitchen area light and removable. I may go to AR from CT next summer with the scooter.

The sides, probably 1/4 inch with ripped 2x4's for studs (1-1/2x1-1/2).

I've seen some of the workmanship done by folks here and am truly impressed. Mine will be more of a hard-top tent replacement. Luckily, my van is white, so a white trailer will look okay.

So far, I have just a shell in mind, built so I can modify it to my hearts content next spring.... but, I do like the insulation and inside walls. That makes a lot of sense for comfort and strength.... I'll just have to make it so I can mod it at some future time...

Now, I have to look for a decent way to make a semi-leakproof homemade door....

btw, thank you for the great url's.... I have to run now, but will start doing a lot of reading tomorrow. Others have said it before, but I'll say it again... this is a great site for a ton of friendly information... always nice to know I'm not alone...

Also, forgot to mention, I'm retired and have a decent shop, so gathering materials will probably be the most time consuming thing (he says optimistically)/g/
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:52 pm

Arne,

If you are taking someone with you, put in 2 doors. And to make it leak proof, you can either use inside seals, like Steve Fredrick, or outside seals with t-Molding, like what Grant sells.

No need to fiberglass, when epoxy paint works just as well with a fraction of the effort.

Ripped 2x4 will add a lot of work to the project. I framed my sides, and it took 3 times as long. You could use 1/2" plywood sides, and save a bunch of time. You could always insulate it with foil bubble wrap!

We've all played the scavenger hunt game looking for materials and parts... don't knock yourself out. Let us know what you're looking for and we'll point you in the right direction!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:57 pm

Mike, after visiting home depot, I concluded your information is invaluable, and the products you mentioned are the way to go (to protect the wood).

Using large radii(sp), I think 1/4" ply will do it for the roof (with some steam if necessary. I plan on 3/8" ply for the sides with 1 inch thick studs (12" on center), rigid insulation.... and paneling if I can get to it. No hatch this year.

I'm disappointed that 4 ft might be the height I'll have to live with as the trailer is 20 inches off the ground and that plus the 48 comes to 68 inches, the height of my van.... I am concerned about gas mileage and don't want to get the trailer top above the van top.

Is it advisable to use the same 'stuff' on the sides that I use on the top?

Also, I'll need a locking door latch, preferably not protruding too much. Is there a favorite type to use on a t/d?

Being a basic computer user I'm really impressed how many have url's to post their pictures.......

Construction will start Wed, after a trip to the dump.... the utility trailer will be the base for the t/d until next spring.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:16 pm

arnereil wrote:Mike, after visiting home depot, I concluded your information is invaluable, and the products you mentioned are the way to go (to protect the wood).

I think you'll really like the Uniflex 255. I plan on writing some more about it on my webpage...
arnereil wrote:Using large radii(sp), I think 1/4" ply will do it for the roof (with some steam if necessary. I plan on 3/8" ply for the sides with 1 inch thick studs (12" on center), rigid insulation.... and paneling if I can get to it. No hatch this year.
I used 1/8" luan plywood on the curves, and 1/4" luan on the straight sections. It's plenty. Of course there's extruded polystyrene under that, and 1/8" birch plywood on the inside.
[/quote]
arnereil wrote:I'm disappointed that 4 ft might be the height I'll have to live with as the trailer is 20 inches off the ground and that plus the 48 comes to 68 inches, the height of my van.... I am concerned about gas mileage and don't want to get the trailer top above the van top.
Wow, that has to be the highest trailer I've ever heard of. I though Wild Mike had a high trailer, but it doesn't even come close to yours. 20". Geesh! You've got to share a photo of that with us!!!

arnereil wrote:Is it advisable to use the same 'stuff' on the sides that I use on the top?

The same stuff? You mean plywood? Paint? Thickness? In a nutshell, whatever works. I used 3/4" plywood on the sides, and 1/8 or 1/4 on the top. I used the same epoxy paint all over. Maybe I'm not understanding the question. Care to rephrase that?
arnereil wrote:Also, I'll need a locking door latch, preferably not protruding too much. Is there a favorite type to use on a t/d?

Many folks use the locking door latch that Grant sells... http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/parts.html
They seem to work with many thicknesses. I used an "Anderson Windows" door handle on my last one, but it was expensive, and it required a 1 1/2" thick door and door jam. You should see what I had to do to make that work....
arnereil wrote:Being a basic computer user I'm really impressed how many have url's to post their pictures.......

Yea, we have a really great bunch of guys and gals here!!! :wink:

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:25 pm

Unfortunately, I call a lot of stuff, stuff... Yes, I was referring to the coating.

I have a simple drawing which I photographed with my camera, but cant get it to go on the left side of my message. (I did the browse thing in my profile, but it didnt' seem to do it)..... Also, some profile pics have really good detail for a 150x150 pixel limit.... mine is a jpg file....

When I dropped mine down to the size limit, it got really blurry....

Is there some other place I should be asking about this?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:31 pm

arnereil wrote:Unfortunately, I call a lot of stuff, stuff... Yes, I was referring to the coating.

I have a simple drawing which I photographed with my camera, but cant get it to go on the left side of my message. (I did the browse thing in my profile, but it didnt' seem to do it)..... Also, some profile pics have really good detail for a 150x150 pixel limit.... mine is a jpg file....

When I dropped mine down to the size limit, it got really blurry....

Is there some other place I should be asking about this?

Sounds like you are trying to upload an avatar for yourself. Yes, just make sure it's less than 150x150 and it should upload just fine. Hint, you can't start with too large a picture, it won't reduce well. You should be able to browse to your jpg and submit it...

Give it another try!

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:32 pm

Hey, email me the original photo and I will clean it up and size it properly for you.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:33 pm

Shrug to the rescue!!! :lol: Good job Shrug!!! 8)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:36 pm

Well I like to help when I can. Lots of people have great ideas, but not he computer skills that you and I have. I would hate to miss out on something neat just becuase somebody does not have a scanner or something.

That goes for anyone, if you have a drawing but no scanner or anything, drop me a note and you can fax it to me and I'll take care of it from there.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:43 pm

I looked for an email address, couldn't find one... tried a private reply, but no place for an attachment.... bear with me on this, lots of new things to learn...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:55 pm

Yes, not everyone has their email shown... in which case you can leave a private message with your email address and ask him to reply via email. Then you can send him your attachment.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:01 pm

My email link is now showing.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:09 am

I have noticed some pics included in notes. I didn't realize that could be done, and don't see how to accomplish it.....

If I could figure it out, I could just stick the simple graph plan right into a note....[img]

Oops, I just clicked on image... maybe that will do something for me..[/img]

editing note.................

Nothing.... well, I'll go look at the help section..... sorry about the messy note... I will get it figured out...

editing note................

Looks like I can not include photos from my own pc, but have to come from a url.......

Anyway, I gave it a shot...... And, can someone explain what IMG is for?

I'll get back on topic, now......
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques