PL construct adhesive-Bonds to polyurethane finish?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

PL construct adhesive-Bonds to polyurethane finish?

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:24 am

Hello all

Getting ready to assemble and attach my interior ceiling panels to side walls. I was planning on staining and poly coating panels prior to install. I have seen photos here of builders masking off the edges of ceiling panels so the bonding edges stay raw. I will be bonding panel to the foam and wood inside wall sandwich ledge shown in photo

In working with this adhesive it seems to stick everything to everything. Especially sticks everything to me.

Is keeping the edges raw required to bond the panels to the walls?

DSCF3649b.jpg
DSCF3649b.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Re: PL construct adhesive-Bonds to polyurethane finish?

Postby working on it » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 am

• I've used Loctite Premium PL adhesive on bare plywood and red oak, polyurethaned plywood and oak (multiple coats of the "mix" and/or pure poly), and on acrylic/oil-based paint(s) over already poly'd surfaces. Old or newly covered surfaces, it sticks to everything, except to a hard smooth vinyl I tried something with, as an experiment; though I've never tried it on foam board, the .pdf below shows that it should adhere.
  • Loctite PL premium construction adhesive bonding capabilities.PNG
    Loctite PL premium construction adhesive bonding capabilities.PNG (141.69 KiB) Viewed 991 times
    this stuff probably would hold my TTT together, all by itself
  • I used it everywhere, on all seams, inside and out, and in all bolt/screw holes thru the walls. I also used it under my exterior metal vents (that were also attached with screws), and when I had to remove one, the adhesive was a real bear to get off, removing all the paint/poly from underneath, when I pried the vent cover loose.
  • 110145 PL adhesive really sticks!
  • Like I said, PL is a great adhesive for practically any surface I've tried it on, and I only used one other adhesive in my build, OSI Quad, around my windows. I wanted a waterproof seal, but also wanted it flexible (more so than the PL), to cushion road shocks from the glass/aluminum window, and still be able to remove the window later.
  • OSI Quad sealant.PNG
    OSI Quad sealant.PNG (141.57 KiB) Viewed 991 times
    adheres to most surfaces, bu not to foam
  • OSI now has a window sealant for use on foam, but as my trailer uses none, I haven't tried it. But, as far as using Loctite PL adhesive, it's my first choice for anything to glue-on, especially wood.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:38 pm

I put several coat of vanish on my wall.
Used PL adhesive to glue my light to the wall and they came right off. :oops:
Used sandpaper to rough up the area were the glue would be and it's been good for 7 years now. 8) :D

The light is above the round window
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Thank you both for the info.

I've decided I'm going to mask the edges and keep the bonding surface raw wood.
It's a sure thing to stick that way.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Wolfgang92025 wrote:I put several coat of varnish on my wall.
Used PL adhesive to glue my light to the wall and they came right off. :oops:
Used sandpaper to rough up the area were the glue would be and it's been good for 7 years now.
8) :D
If you mean traditional varnish, then that's why the polyurethane-based PL adhesive didn't work for you; Varnishes are generally made up of five specific ingredients: oil, resin, solvent, dryers and ultra- violet additives, while PL is is a one component, polyurethane based, moisture-curing adhesive, so it attaches more strongly to similar coatings. My trailer was thoroughly coated with the "mix", first, then pure polyurethane, then a solvent-based paint (which was applied so soon afterwards, that the solvents from each coat were still drying), and thus added to an intermix bonding. After that, using PL on top, it found a similar substrate to bond with, so it lasts and holds well. You can see in the picture I posted that the PL adhered so tightly to a total of 5 or 6 coats of "mix", poly, paint (I forget the exact #), that it literally tore plywood away with it when removed. That's a strong bond. My plywood was pre-sanded from Home Depot, and only degreased prior to using the "mix", and never afterwards.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques