Side insulation worth the space

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Side insulation worth the space

Postby OCBINVA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 am

Well in my other posts you will see I got a $100 trailer.  I am using this as a one man camper conversion project (teardrop'ish) to see if I want to do a much larger conversion.  I plan in this being a one man camping, fishing, and kayak setup.  It is only 47" wide on the inside and being it is a bolt together trailer and the roof is leak free so I do not want to widen it and lose the benefit of the existing structure.  The sides are skinned 3/4
plywood.  Is it worth it to insulate the sides?  I hate to lose the 2 to 2.5 inches in width to add the insulation.  Any experience with .25 insulation or refectix with luan over it on the inside?  If I go thinner it would be better or just leave the insulation out?  I am still reading up on the strength 3/4 inch sandwich sheets too as a possibility.  Since this trailer is so small I can experiment without being concerned of losing too much money. The roof has 1 inch metal ribs so it will be easy to insulated and cover.  It's just the sides I am concerned about.  Any insight or lessons learned is appreciated.  RickImage

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
The Perpetual Tinkerer... The Goal: To keep Idle hands Busy, the Mind active, and the Muscles stretched...

Current Build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69709

Owner of a 66 Beeline, a 65 COX, and a 66 Apache and soon to be Micro Outdoorsman
OCBINVA
Teardrop Builder

Re: Side insulation worth the space

Postby tony.latham » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:57 am

I forget how much moisture a person gives off but it's significant.

My first teardrop was commercially built with plywood walls. Condensation was always a problem. Our current teardrop has sandwiched walls with 3/4" of insulation inside. No condensation.

And make sure you have lots of ventilation capabilities.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OCBINVA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46 pm

I plan on lots of ventilation especially since this one is so small. I was debating using 3/4 sheet between 1/4 plywood. I can leave the wood sticking out from the edge so I can still utilize the existing brackets. I will k ow more when I get one teardown. I want all new wood since what is in there is full of oil and grease soaked wood.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
The Perpetual Tinkerer... The Goal: To keep Idle hands Busy, the Mind active, and the Muscles stretched...

Current Build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69709

Owner of a 66 Beeline, a 65 COX, and a 66 Apache and soon to be Micro Outdoorsman
OCBINVA
Teardrop Builder

Postby ae6black » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:00 pm

I tend to camp more in really cold weather than when it's nice outside. What I've discovered is that mere wood as insulation has a tendency to have frost build up on it in really cold weather. Where you use foam, you don't have the problem. Perhaps a sandwich incorporating both would be a good thing. My td is 4 feet wide and I used 3/4 insulation on both sides. I fit inside with a medium sized dog and I am not exactly fit or trim in size.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Insulate between the ribs at least under the new plywood interior. You'll be glad you did. It'll be cooler when in the sun and condensation will be less of a problem at night. Quieter too.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 pm

I've got a sandwiched build of 1/8" luan, 3/4"Styrofoam between supports (1x2" poplar), 1/8" maple ply. Top, bottom, and sides are insulated.
I've camped in 27 degrees and been comfy. On that same trip, a couple camped in a metal sided td without insulation and were so cold that they left the next day. Insulation helps combat condensation, frost, noise, cold, and heat. It's cheap and lightweight; so, the only reason not to insulate might be because it's a small amount of extra work. But, you'll be sorry if you don't insulate.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 am

Yep !

January 08 shivaree !

It went to -1 temp that night with a -16 wind chill. Thank God for a good heater and lots of insulation.

Bunch of crazies anyway !!!! :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:05 pm

bobhenry wrote:Yep !

January 08 shivaree !

It went to -1 temp that night with a -16 wind chill. Thank God for a good heater and lots of insulation.

Bunch of crazies anyway !!!! :lol:

Damn funny. You hang with some shady desperados.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques