Moving the incomplete trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Moving the incomplete trailer

Postby Mountainhwy4 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Hello all,

I'm in the process of building my 5x8 trailer at my girlfriend's house and the project is going swell, except for some drama from her roommates....

Long story short, she'll be moving out at the end of July and I'll have to move the trailer out of her garage as well to the new place (wherever that may be!)
I currently only have the floor sandwich attached and have the walls ready to be sandwiched, but my question is:

When is the safest point to move the trailer if it's incomplete? I still have a couple of months that I can be doing work and I'd rather make some progress on it, but I don't want to be towing this thing down the road and have it fall apart on me! :frightened: :frightened:

Say if I attached the walls and cross bracing as well as some of the cabinetry on the trailer and I kept my speed low, would I be able to safely move the trailer? It would only be about 10 miles or so on city streets (no way I would take it on the freeway yet!), but have any of you had to do that in the middle of a build?

This is leading to some late night worries....
[color=#FF0000]"Hear me baby hold together."[/color]
Not that I've ever actually thought that on a trip.... /s
Mountainhwy4
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Moving the incomplete trailer

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon May 21, 2018 4:16 pm

You should have plenty of time to get the shell done. Walls up, roof spars in and skin the roof. Put in the bulkhead for lateral support and you are good to go. If you are using pre made doors, you should be able to finish the whole outside. You can always do cabinets and shelves after the move.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby LMarsh » Mon May 21, 2018 11:07 pm

My teardrop is 5'x12' and not finished, but we moved last year. I rigged up some temporary towing lights and towed it pretty far while it was just a plywood shell. Basically just sidewalls, ceiling, and roof except even the roof wasn't completely finished. My design doesn't have much for bulkheads because it sleeps 4, but even at that stage it was pretty solid. Not to say I wasn't nervous but it towed without issue.
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Mon May 28, 2018 8:16 am

IMHO get the walls reinforced and don't try to brake the sound barrier and you'll be ok. If your walls aren't attached, you could always just lay them flat and carefully ratchet strap them down. find a nice sunny dry day to move and move it early so you won't be forced to do it during bad weather.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon May 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Just make sure you are finished by the end of August - http://www.ebbettspassadventures.com/lo ... mping.html
The music fest is a blast - usually 5 or 6 TD's set up in a little cul-de-sac - free camping - free music - bring your own water.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques