homemade gasless gas struts

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:20 pm

Sunny, the length of the tubes are such that about 4"s of the black tube is still inside the silver(emt) tube when the hatch is opened fully...when the hatch close the black tube slides into the silver tube...there is a pin hole in both tubes so that when pinned, it is a hard fixed length, not allowing the hatch to go up or down, staying securely in place regadless of wind action...We will have them powder coated and there will be an indicator ring on the black tube, so that when it shows, you will know that the pin holes are lined up...we came up with this because we were too broke and/or cheap to buy gas struts...should we decide to add gas struts later, the engineering is already done, just buy struts to match the length of our present setup and connect at the same points
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby critter » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:26 pm

hey madjack,
kewl 8) might see that on the weekender! thanks for the info as always you da man :thumbsup:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:41 pm

...another note...while we have not done so at present, you could drill a series of hole in one leg or another(probably the EMT so that it would be adjustable, allowing you to lock the hatch at various positions...don't know why you would want to but you could if you wanted too
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jje507 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:58 pm

hey madjack,
I really like your gasless struts, think i'll try them myself.
i also like your pvc water tank. does it work o.k.?
i was thinking of trying something like that myself and maybe using black pipe and mounting up top as a canoe rack/solar water heater.
jeff
jje507
Silver Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:24 am

madjack wrote:sorry I don't have a pic with the hatch closed and it is now skinned so a closed view of the struts is impossible but it works really well....
madjack 8)

It may be possible. Do you have a camera with a timer on it (digital preferred of course)? Set it up inside the galley somewhere so that it aims at the strut. When you are sure it gets the strut in a shot, make sure the flash is on, set the timer, close the hatch, and count to 15. Voila, an inside shot. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby sunny16 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:02 pm

Madjack,
What size of conduit? did you use? I was going to see what/how they fit but never saw the sizes mentioned. It looks like a great idea and just about the right cost!!!! :lol:
I might even look into square aluminum tube. I used to have some laying around from an old telescope project a long time ago.

Great idea.

Sunny16
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:19 pm

Sunny, the "silver leg" was regular 1/2" EMT type conduit...the black leg is about 3/8's and came from an old fold up camp chair...there is a little slack in these two pipes, we had some tubing that was very tight in the conduit and were afraid that any thing that might dent or ding the outer tube would cause the inner to jamb up tight....in this case, slack is good
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Mitheral » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:12 pm

madjack wrote:sorry I don't have a pic with the hatch closed and it is now skinned so a closed view of the struts is impossible but it works really well....
madjack 8)

Many cameras have a timer built in. Set up your shot, set the timer, close the hatch.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Mad Jack

Postby galen neibarger » Wed May 31, 2006 12:36 am

Hey how you doin. I like the gasless struts. I see its made out of elec. conduit and what is the other part that goes in the conduit?. I like it and can I steal :worship: this ideal for my second tear the "Around-About".

Galen Neibarger
Ohio
galen neibarger
Teardrop Advisor

gasless struts

Postby galen neibarger » Wed May 31, 2006 12:39 am

Hey madjack how you doin. I like the gasless struts. I see its made out of elec. conduit and what is the other part that goes in the conduit?. I like it and can I steal :worship: this ideal for my second tear the "Around-About".

Galen Neibarger
Ohio
galen neibarger
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Mad Jack

Postby madjack » Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 am

galen neibarger wrote:Hey how you doin. I like the gasless struts. I see its made out of elec. conduit and what is the other part that goes in the conduit?. I like it and can I steal :worship: this ideal for my second tear the "Around-About".

Galen Neibarger
Ohio

Galen, the inner part came from a fold up chair leg...it fits a little loose and we like it like that because it wont jam if the outer leg gets a dent or warp in it...feel free to steal away...although we are fixin' to replace them with gas stuts so that the ladies can open the hatch easier......
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Leon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:50 pm

sunny16 wrote:I don't want the old broomstick style and I don't want to pay for gas struts.

Gas struts are only about $10....
I don't see that as a major expense.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby sushidog » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:47 pm

Leon wrote:
sunny16 wrote:I don't want the old broomstick style and I don't want to pay for gas struts.

Gas struts are only about $10....
I don't see that as a major expense.

Where would I look for inexpensive struts? I would like to find some large ones that could be used to assist in lifting the top of my planned pop-up tear. I would need a 3 ft extension/lift. Any ideas?
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary K » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:33 pm

http://www.austinhardware.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=116

Austin Harware has em.....the have alot of stuff to so look around. :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby sushidog » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Thanks. I need a 36" lift though. Do you know if they work upside down?

I could attach two 18" struts together, doubling my lift.
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques