A different question about insulating a teardrop....

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: A different question about insulating a teardrop....

Postby Tigris99 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:58 pm

insulation is a good thing. Condensation is a problem of lack of ventilation as well. Keeping air moving helps this A LOT but insulation is required to keep inner wall warmer than outer wall. But jury is out on how much it matters for the floor since the most have a mattress providing insulation.

My big plus of insulation is noise reduction. Helpful when you camp in a campground.

As others have said, your plan is WAY WAY overbuilding that teardrop. If your going that route I hope you have something big enough to effectively tow it. There is absolutely no need to be built that heavy.

My first build that was way over built was 2x2 framing (some 2x4s used in certain places) with XPS foam filling all voids, 1/4" ply external, 1/8 internal with PMF outer coating. 1400lbs loaded for the weekend. And that shell was about bomb proof.

One I'm doing modifications to a trailer now for will be lucky to weigh 500lbs empty if I have my way and most of that will be the trailer itself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Windward Tom » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Like I said, I am very bad at not doing over kill, ask my wife :roll: I am lightening the inner wall quite a bit, but pretty much like all have said, it will be very heavy as Tears go. I like the help with condensation, the sound deadening aspect, and any added warm. So it looks like it will be heavy. Tigris, I have a pretty strong truck and the camper I previously pulled weighs 5700 empty, 6900 camp ready. This is most definitely downsizing. My wife and I came from tent camping and want to go back to simply camping, but not sleeping on the ground. Hence teardrop.
Windward Tom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aguyfromohio » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Windward Tom wrote:...My wife and I came from tent camping and want to go back to simply camping, but not sleeping on the ground. Hence teardrop.

Same for me and the Mrs.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby azgreg » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:20 pm

tony.latham wrote:
He's in Alaska and no insulation. That's good enough for me.

For us, the value of insulated walls is not having to mop up the condensation on the walls with a towel. It gets that bad. The added 15º warmth on those chilly nights is just a bonus.

Tony
aggie79 wrote:
azgreg wrote:One of my favorite builds here is the Alaskan Benroy.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61738
He's in Alaska and no insulation. That's good enough for me.

One of my favorite builds is Alaska Teardrop's Northern Lite Traveler:
http://t.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991.
He designed it in Alaska and built it in Michigan. It has 2 inches of insulation in floors, walls, and roof. He also has built a second teardrop using a similar design. Both have been used extensively. That's good enough for me.

No fair teaming up on me. :R
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 am

same reason I built my first on and now building a new one, I dont mind sleeping on the ground but wife hates it even with a mattress. My only issue was always rain and dealing with everything being wet. Such a pain in the ass.

And having a proper waterproof place to sleep is really nice.

And the just grab clothes and food, hook up and gone then no real set up is a plus as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques