Window Source

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Window Source

Postby EZ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Is it generally accepted that you need to have tempered glass in the camper windows? These jealousie shed windows would not be an option then: http://www.shed-windows.com/Crank-Out-Shed-Window.html

Another possibility are rectangular ones that do have tempered glass, but they are not exactly good looking even if the price is right ($22): http://www.shed-windows.com/Shed-Window-14x21.html Among "other uses" it suggests outhouses; not especially the direction I want to go.

I really was planning on crank-out windows but it seems they have mostly gone the way of the dinosaur. The Vintage Technology awning windows only open 3"; that doesn't let in much air. I also was hoping to not spend $100+shipping per window. Amazon reviews of Vintage Technology windows are not exactly shining. This is really cramping the style of my semi-inexpensive standy......
EZ
Donating Member

Postby steve cowan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:31 am

I bought 4 [24" wide x 16" high] for a future standy build.I'll take a chance on the glass breaking.Anyway at under $40 per window including shipping the quality of
the window is very good.Not many sources for crank out windows.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:13 am

Salesman's sample windows are left in a dusty corner of almost any lumber yard and big box store. I have picked up 20 or so in my build career. These are minitures of the high end windows often touting the latest and greatest gas filled this and that with double or triple insulated glass. Often tilt out with full or 1/2 screens. You will have to ask if they have any hid but I have been given them I have paid as little as $10.00 for a few and most were 20 to 25 dollars each. Here are a few from my last score. These will be used in the flea market truck conversion.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:15 am

I found some samples of operable storm windows and used them in my original build.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby EZ » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:15 pm

steve cowan wrote:I bought 4 [24" wide x 16" high] for a future standy build.I'll take a chance on the glass breaking.Anyway at under $40 per window including shipping the quality of
the window is very good.Not many sources for crank out windows.

Steve, from where did you end up purchasing crank-out windows?

I am concerend about them breaking as the travel trailer bounces down the road. But the price sounds right!

Thanks,

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby steve cowan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:03 pm

The website is shed parts.com.Looks like the price went up a couple bucks per window since I bought.Not saying they can't break but several builds have used plain

shed windows but don't know of any issues.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:53 am

Since we are talking windows, search for playhouse windows. I found my jalousie windows with that search. Not exactly modern camper Windows but give a cool vintage look to my poor woodworking skills.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby EZ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:47 am

steve cowan wrote:The website is shed parts.com.Looks like the price went up a couple bucks per window since I bought.Not saying they can't break but several builds have used plain

shed windows but don't know of any issues.

Thanks for that information Steve. I am still struggling to find a window source. I like the idea of Crank Out Jalousie Shed Windows like you purchased from shedparts.com. I am a little confused, the description states: Each window comes with an aluminum frame, safety glass, and two window panes. Window measures 24"x16". However under Features it says: Frame: Aluminum, Glass: Standard. I sent them a question via the website contact page asking for clarification. Also I imagine the dimensions are 26" wide X 16" tall (doesn't really make that clear). They also sell 18" X 23" which I assume are 18" wide X 23" tall.

ShedWindows.com has what are probably the same windows for a few dollars less but I have not checked the shipping.

You mentioned the windows you purchased are good quality, that is encouraging. The crank-open jalousie windows get the most square inches of cooling for the opening size it seems and can keep rain out. I continue to be baffled by the difficulty finding suitable windows that are not sliders.
EZ
Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 am

Another window source.

https://www.ternoverland.com/arctic-tern-window

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:40 am

rkanz wrote:Another window source.

They're not giving them away!

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby EZ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:15 pm

tony.latham wrote:
rkanz wrote:Another window source.

They're not giving them away!

T

Yeah, those are nice but more than I am planning on spending by about a factor of 10.......... Not to be redundant, but Grant Whipp, we miss you!
EZ
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Not to be redundant, but Grant Whipp, we miss you!

Isn't that the truth.

:NC

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Can you refit for a lighter Wiley Window one moving part.On the one we use if you break the glass . Just get a glass cut board temper glass. They seam to be used on boats http://tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=134179 best picture
[img]144710[/img]
Pouvez-vous installer une pièce mobile plus légère et plus légère? Procurez-vous simplement un verre trempé en verre trempé. Ils semblent être utilisés sur les bateaux
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques