Window size questions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Window size questions

Postby cr500taco » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:26 pm

I am planning out my first trailer build. It will be a simple trailer on a 5X8 utility trailer. I will be going the 3/4" insulated "stick" framing route. It will be insulated all the way around. It will have a rear door with a window, (I will be making the door, myself), windows in the sides and possibly either a large window or a wide narrow window in the front. I like the idea of having large windows. Looking at 30"X20" on the sides and a 15"X30" for the rear door. But, I am wondering, since the trailer will be insulated if I should use smaller windows and possibly forgo the idea of a window in the front. The trailer might be used in temps as low as in the 20*s.
Last edited by cr500taco on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cr500taco
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Window size questions

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:45 pm

...a large window or a wide narrow window in the front.

I'd be leery of a rock hitting it.

Teardrops need lots of ventilation... large screened windows. As far as the 20º stuff, get a down comforter.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cr500taco » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:05 pm

tony.latham wrote:
...a large window or a wide narrow window in the front.

I'd be leery of a rock hitting it.

Teardrops need lots of ventilation... large screened windows. As far as the 20º stuff, get a down comforter.

Tony

I've thought about rocks possibly hitting the front window. Was thinking of trying to make a cover for it.
The trailer will be most likely used during the winter. During warmer weather, I prefer tent camping. Would ventilation still be a factor?
cr500taco
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:58 pm

During warmer weather, I prefer tent camping. Would ventilation still be a factor?

It's always a factor with a teardrop. One of the big reasons I sold my old commercial 4-wide and built a 5-wide was to add a fan. They are that important.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques