DIY Window Idea

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

DIY Window Idea

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:45 pm

This is for a door window as it is a slider. An awning window would hit the body of the camper when open. The window is a vertical slider, 15x12 tempered glass.
The glass is a cutting board bought for $6.
The frame/channel is an aluminum J moulding for house siding. I have used the J channel for small, inexpensive gutter on the camper.
Notch 90° out of the J in three spots so the glass fits securely inside the frame but still glides without binding. Make the frame large enough so the glass can drop down to open.
Measure the door opening by holding the frame in place and marking inside. Be sure not to cut the opening too low because the glass needs to cover the opening.
Position the frame with the glass inside on the door. Attach the frame.
Use a ribbon for the open/close mechanism. Attach the ribbon to the top of the frame. Drop it over the front of the glass and under the bottom of the glass. The ribbon is then inside the door. Raise the glass by pulling on the ribbon. Drop the glass by releasing the ribbon.

I am trying to get my mind around this idea so thought I would float it past everyone.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: DIY Window Idea

Postby Bob Hammond » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Are you fitting it inside an outer and inner skin of the door, sort of like early automobiles?

I'm thinking of making my windows slide up & down on a track mounted on the inside of the door, with a rubber weather strip on the bottom to shed water. This would only be used in camp. For transport on the road, the window will be fitted into the gasketed frame with turnbutton clamps.

Hmm, As for the window, I guess tempered glass would work fine, but I'd use polycarbonate because you could cut it to the exact shape that is needed. That's how I made mine for the arched-top doors. Here's a link to an Airstream forum that describes making a polycarbonate window with a little bit of detail. It was for my Airstream, so it's a bit more complicated than for the little trailer, but you might be interested in seeing that it's hung on a hurricane-style hinge.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/th ... 71584.html
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob Hammond » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Are you fitting it inside an outer and inner skin of the door, sort of like early automobiles?

I'm thinking of making my windows slide up & down on a track mounted on the inside of the door, with a rubber weather strip on the bottom to shed water. This would only be used in camp. For transport on the road, the window will be fitted into the gasketed frame with turnbutton clamps.

Hmm, As for the window, I guess tempered glass would work fine, but I'd use polycarbonate because you could cut it to the exact shape that is needed. That's how I made mine for the arched-top doors. Here's a link to an Airstream forum that describes making a polycarbonate window with a little bit of detail. It was for my Airstream, so it's a bit more complicated than for the little trailer, but you might be interested in seeing that it's hung on a hurricane-style hinge.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/th ... 71584.html
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 am

My original thought was plexiglass, mostly because it is light weight and workable by me. But once I noticed the tough tempered glass cutting boards, I went that direction. Plexi is still good because it can be sized exact.

The real find was using the J bead for a channel to hold the glass. Before this I had too many ideas how I would make a channel/frame. I like to design cheap, fast and (hopefully) clever.

The J channel will be mounted to the outside of my door probably with blind rivets. My doors are 5mm ply with a 1x3 frame. I'm still thinking how to mount the J channel to the light ply. Half inch doors could use small screws.

My wife doesn't want me to mess with the door, for good reason. :-) I may not attempt this anytime soon but I do like this idea for a slider window.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:19 am

Been using cutting boards for years as windows. It is nice have the tempered glass. using a wily window.
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:36 am

...so thought I would float it past everyone.

Dust and rain. How are you going to seal it?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Hammond » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:16 pm

tony.latham wrote:
...so thought I would float it past everyone.

Dust and rain. How are you going to seal it?

:thinking:

Tony

Many weatherstrip adhesives can get a good grip on glass. Plastic is so-so, and in some cases (such as polypropylene) nothing will stick and so a mechanical bond is necessary.
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby saywhatthat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:19 pm

How you going to keep bugs out. maybe a magnet screen
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:38 pm

I have always found a way to get a screen in place. Sometimes the screen is just a curtain but it works.

My camper sets outside all year, every year. I have no rubber seal anywhere. Water stays out due to what I call s labrenth seal. I use a J channel, or J bead, from siding for a gutter over the door. I am surprised how well it works. I like lots of ventilation even when it is cold outside so I only thought of water exclusion not air.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Bob Hammond » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Tomterrific wrote:I have always found a way to get a screen in place. Sometimes the screen is just a curtain but it works.

My camper sets outside all year, every year. I have no rubber seal anywhere. Water stays out due to what I call s labrenth seal. I use a J channel, or J bead, from siding for a gutter over the door. I am surprised how well it works. I like lots of ventilation even when it is cold outside so I only thought of water exclusion not air.

Tt

I"ll keep that in mind. I don't seem to have a problem with leaks around the windows and doors of my trailer, although I did make a rock & rain shield for the front windows for transport on the road.
Curator
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques