Best sealant under Yakima landing pads

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Best sealant under Yakima landing pads

Postby Karen Clancy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:29 am

I'm going to be installing Yakima landing pads on the teardrop for a Smittybilt awning . What would the best way to seal under these ? butyl tape or a Elastic sealant like Lexel sealant , or should I use a combination of both. First I have to get over the fact of drilling holes in a prefect leak free roof . I'm hesitant of doing this BUT I bought all necessary items already . TIA . Kerry
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Best sealant under Yakima landing pads

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 am

Karen Clancy wrote:I'm going to be installing Yakima landing pads on the teardrop for a Smittybilt awning . What would the best way to seal under these ? butyl tape or a Elastic sealant like Lexel sealant , or should I use a combination of both. First I have to get over the fact of drilling holes in a prefect leak free roof . I'm hesitant of doing this BUT I bought all necessary items already . TIA . Kerry

First of all, I think it's important to give each screw hole a squirt of a 50:50 mix of oil-based polyurethane/paint thinner or another sealant that soaks into the wood. I base that on watching water stall on the upper end of the hatch-hinge screw holes and just sit there. Some of it has to get into those holes. It may not be needed for this application unless water tends to sit there. (I use a syringe.)

I'm a huge fan of the poly sealants --but I use butyl tape under the fan and ahead of the hurricane hinge in case I have to remove them. I do add a bead of Lexel around the edges of the fan and ahead of the hinge.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Best sealant under Yakima landing pads

Postby John61CT » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Butyl when actual bedding is needed.

Seal perimeter, Sika 291 or 3M 4200.

Never 5200, nothing with sillycone
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques