challenger door cut out

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

challenger door cut out

Postby Graniterich » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:00 pm

I have used a few different manufacturer's doors. I really like the Challenger brand, 26*32 size. Their lead time is a few weeks, and I am ahead of schedule and would like to make the cut out before walls go up. I sent them an email asking for the cut out dimensions, and was told 26*32 with radius corner. Really don't want to have to make larger when doors arrive. I know a few people here have used their product, anyone remember if you cut to exact size?

Thanks

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Re: challenger door cut out

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Graniterich wrote:I have used a few different manufacturer's doors. I really like the Challenger brand, 26*32 size. Their lead time is a few weeks, and I am ahead of schedule and would like to make the cut out before walls go up. I sent them an email asking for the cut out dimensions, and was told 26*32 with radius corner. Really don't want to have to make larger when doors arrive. I know a few people here have used their product, anyone remember if you cut to exact size?

Thanks

I traced around the inside trim rings. Came out to 1/8" added to the stated door dimensions (just went down and checked--our doors are 26 x 36 inches, so the holes in the walls are each 26 1/8" by 36 1/8").

We haven't mounted the doors permanently yet, but they fit, with no wiggle room.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Minics04 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Just my 2 cents...but I would wait for the doors to arrive before cutting.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:06 pm

when I was at that stage I wasn't sure if I was going to build doors or buy. I called Challenger and got the rough opening and cut my walls to fit their doors. If I built them I would just build to that size and if I didn't like the built ones I could order a set. Once I figured the cost to build doors and the time I ordered them. They dropped right in and and I had less than a hour installing the two doors.

I don't recall the cut size now but call them and they will give your a rough opening.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby les45 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:59 am

Minics04 wrote:Just my 2 cents...but I would wait for the doors to arrive before cutting.

I agree with this comment. Wait on the doors and use the inside trim ring as a template.
les45
500 Club

Postby Rhinoman64 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:48 pm

I did cut mine before the doors arrived. I was worried about cutting the opening too big so I went slightly under the ordered door size. Sure enough it was a little tight and had to be widened. I would wait until they arrive if you can, but if not you should be able to use the specified dimensions and a 4" radius corner (if I recall correctly) and not have any problems. With the flange and trim ring you do have a little wiggle room.
Rhinoman64
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks, I need to delay such a large purchase , I am a to cut to given dimensions. Much easier with cut on saw horses before installing walls. The way I build is rather slow. Won't need until days before completion.

Graniterich
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques