Window bedding tapes-Whats the difference?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Window bedding tapes-Whats the difference?

Postby Mr. Lahey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 pm

It won't be long till I need to install my door windows, a/c hatch, lights, etc. I've been looking at bedding tapes. They are priced different and made of different material. Some are listed as caulk. Others as butyl. Any reasons to use one over the other? I also think it would be helpful to be able to remove or replace an item if needed in the future without tearing up my PMF skin.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Re: Window bedding tapes-Whats the difference?

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Mr. Lahey wrote:It won't be long till I need to install my door windows, a/c hatch, lights, etc. I've been looking at bedding tapes. They are priced different and made of different material. Some are listed as caulk. Others as butyl. Any reasons to use one over the other? I also think it would be helpful to be able to remove or replace an item if needed in the future without tearing up my PMF skin.

I can't give you a definitive answer other than I have had good luck with butyl tape. I use it for the fan and the front of the hinge.

On this new build, I'll use it for the windows too.

Grant Whipp, who's hung up his jigsaw after building fine teardrops for a living, said that he had better luck with the black butyl tape than the gray. Even from the same manufacturer, who claimed there isn't a difference.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:13 pm

I used OSI Quad on my 6 teardrops and is available at Lowe’s and Home Depot. I holds very well and lacquer thinner will remove it. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 am

As always...…

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby theoldwizard1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:26 am

Sorry for being late to the party ...

Use what sailors use BUTYL TAPE ! It lasts a long time (take leftover bits and and place them in a jar/can for later use). Removes easily and cleanly.

IMHO all caulks fail. Being able to easily remove them and then re-bed the item is key to a dry interior.
theoldwizard1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:43 am

I used what was called ribbon tape caulk. It is, I think, clay and oil, like modeling clay. The stuff comes in a roll with paper backing. It is soft enough to squeeze out under pressure when the screws are tightened. The screws used finish washers and the hollow underside of the washer was filled with this caulk. I used this method ever where a metal flange was screwed to the camper, notably the roof vent. Water is no problem as the camper has sat outside for years after it was built. The shiney finish washers look good around the window flanges and I would use this method again.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques