Wall cabinets in my standee

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Wall cabinets in my standee

Postby MatBirch » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Hey gang, looking for some opinions on how to design the finished look for my side wall cabinets in my trailer. The roof drops about 4” front to back, so the ceiling is not parallel to the floor. One cabinet will only be 18” wide and will be vertical floor to ceiling shelving, so the uneven top won’t be noticed. On the opposite wall though, will be a sink base with cabinets above, about 50” wide, X 12” high. This one will be very noticeable. Plus, it’s directly line of sight from the door. Kinda the first thing you’ll see. Curious as to opinions on just running the face of the cabinet all the way to the ceiling, and have a tapered cabinet? Hang a true square cabinet and have tapered open space above (this space could only be an inch or two, not enough for storage)? Or, square cabinet with a filler strip, offset either front or back a couple inches, leaving a cornice, or a small cavity?

The open space option would mask any waviness in the ceiling
Thanks! :beer:
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Wall cabinets in my standee

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Over the 50" span of the wall cabinet, what is the "drop" distance? If it's 4" front to back from the length of the trailer, the drop off can't be more then 2". I would taper the top style on the cabinet and keep the doors all the same size.. Your eye will go to the doors first. One thing I wish I would have done, but didn't think of it till it was to late was make some fender welting. There is some slight gaps at the ceiling where it meets the cabinets. I have my wife sew me some welting to go between the fender and the side wall of the trailer. All she does is sew a strip of heavy vinyl around a piece of cording. I would have liked to do that on the inside cabinets.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Karen Clancy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:00 pm

Steve they do sell cabinet welting in several colors & sizes . I recently purchased some off of ebay
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby noseoil » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 am

I would make a cardboard mock-up of the amount of change, then decide how to make the structure fit inside of the curve. Cardboard can be scribed to give a perfect fit & is easy to tape or staple for an exact fit. It's easier to do a mock-up first, then you know how it will look, how it will fit & what needs to be done to make things work. It's the same with boat building, aircraft cabinets, bus conversions, etc.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MatBirch » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:17 pm

noseoil wrote:I would make a cardboard mock-up of the amount of change, then decide how to make the structure fit inside of the curve. Cardboard can be scribed to give a perfect fit & is easy to tape or staple for an exact fit. It's easier to do a mock-up first, then you know how it will look, how it will fit & what needs to be done to make things work. It's the same with boat building, aircraft cabinets, bus conversions, etc.

Good idea! Thanks.
And Christmas has left me with a garage full of boxes to work with. Lol

Thanks gang!
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques