And....let's open a can of worms

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

And....let's open a can of worms

Postby MickinOz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:29 am

So I've got my first piece of curved plywood on the TD.
It went great, apart from two staples must have hit hard knots and veered off course, throwing a leg out the side, but....soaking in warm water to bend it has left the outer veneer quite "furry" with a fair bit of checking.
Nothing serious but damn it looks dry. The timber would be pinus radiata.
Will 50/50 mix sort it out?
My thinking is that, if it soaks in like they say, it can really only do the first veneer, as there is a layer of A-Bond water proof glue stopping further penetration.
But it should, I think, make the top veneer harder. This would be important for even sanding.
I reckon at this point I could pretty much sand that first layer off.
And veneers being what they are, they aren't uniform hardness all over the surface, so you tend to not sand flat as the softer bits tear out easily.
Mix should help with that, I think?

The other question - when you watch painting how to videos from the manufacturers or retailers, they often fill holes and cracks after first priming the timber.
What's the thoughts - run in a coat or two of the mix, then fill cracks and knots before priming and painting, or fill the knots first?
Or is it 6 of one, half a dozen of the other?
I'm using wood flour (dust from the sander) and exterior PVA for filler, which I suspect is best suited to adhering to unsealed timber.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Re: And....let's open a can of worms

Postby edgeau » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:37 am

You might want a couple of coats. Start with a 50/50 then a less dilute one a day layer. I'm not sure with filling before or after. I think it can't hurt to go the mix first.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques