Spar varnish For exterior

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Spar varnish For exterior

Postby shawnjr22 » Mon May 04, 2020 9:08 am

I’m thinking of using the spar varnish at Lowe’s for the outside of my teardrop. My plan is to stain then apply 6-7 coats of the spar varnish with sanding in between. Would this plan work or is there
Another step I’m forgetting thanks!!
shawnjr22
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Spar varnish For exterior

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon May 04, 2020 9:43 am

Make sure it's rated for exterior exposure. Even then you'll be refinishing every 2-3 years if it's stored outside.

You should constantly be inspecting every exterior joint. Bumping around on the road and just normal expansion and contraction from temperature and humidity can open up a joint enough to let moisture in.

If it was mine and I wanted that stained wood look, and I didn't want to fiberglass, I'd varnish with a good marine spar varnish. Start with first coat thinned 75% with the recommended thinner, then 50-50, then 25-75, and finally full strength. Sanding lightly between coats. Finish up with a couple more full strength coats with the best brush you can afford. Finally I'd cover the roof to wall joints with aluminum trim bedded in Sikaflex.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shawnjr22 » Mon May 04, 2020 9:59 am

Awesome thank you! I’ve done one with PMF and really love it I might have to stick with that to hide a lot of my wood working haha
shawnjr22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Wed May 06, 2020 6:01 am

If I had a "bright" finish on a teardrop, I'd plan on keeping it inside most of the time, unless it's being used on the road. It's the most time-consuming finish you can do & requires a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good. Being a wood worker, I chose aluminum, but YMMV...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:05 am

Growing up, the family of a friend of mine had beautiful two masted sailing yacht. It took about a week every year with 6-8 people working on it to get it ready to sail. Acres and acres of bright work to maintain. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen but what a lot of work!
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Soderholm » Fri May 08, 2020 6:20 pm

I build kayaks which are spar varnished. All it takes is a reapplication cert couple of summers. Applying varnish is fast and easy especially compared to painting. I pull the deck stuff sand lightly and do three coats or so. It dries fast enough you can do a coat in the morning and one in the afternoon. Way easier than scraping/prepping and painting. And it looks great!
Soderholm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:29 pm

Is that spar varnish over epoxy/glass? I've built 11(!) wooden boats over the years and I agree that over glass spar varnish lasts and is easy to reapply after a light sanding. But the OP was talking about just spar varnish over wood. That's a different story. If you slack off on the maintenance to the point the varnish cracks, and it will after a couple years, you almost have to sand down to the wood again if you want that "Bristol" looking finish again. Decks, gunnels etc. every two years or less. The glassed hulls can go as long as 5 years if they are stored out of the sun.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Soderholm » Sat May 09, 2020 4:58 pm

Yep, I saturate all wood surfaces. I glass the roof only. Sometimes when building things and I want to build light I will use 1/8 or 1/4 plywood with 2oz or 4oz glass which stiffens it up well.
Soderholm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Sun May 10, 2020 1:35 pm

Mine is finished in spar varnish. The sides are 3/4" oak veneer plywood. I sealed the sides with CPES before several coats of varnish in 2008. I've done a recoat twice since then. She lives in the garage except when camping.

Three weeks ago about to head out. Screw quarantine, I social distanced the proper way.

Last summer near Colorado Springs.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 17, 2020 3:52 pm

I agree with the spar varnish over epoxy. We touch up the spar about every 5 years, and it is stored inside. The epoxy is what has saved our woody over the 11 years we have had it. Still even had to repair a few small places at joints where the epoxy cracked from water while driving close to the road. Never regretted the time or expensive of epoxy first.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques