Seeking window latch that pulls tight

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Seeking window latch that pulls tight

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon May 11, 2020 11:13 am

Tomterrific wrote:D.D.
I think I understand now. The window is in a door frame? The window is almost the entire round frame?
Interesting that I had the same idea for a homemade awning window. Hinge at the top with a 'stick' to open and close. In my design the stick would be metal so much studier. I figured the hanging weight of the stick would hold the window closed. Also, the stick and its hinge at the window would be adjusted in length to hold the window closed tightly. A steel rod for a stick and a neodymium magnet to hold the stick should work.

So without completely reengineering the window holdout perhaps just a rebuild with steel parts will do it.

Tt

Wow, what a cool idea! Yes, your understanding is correct. Now I need to look up neodymium :) but I get it. Thanks for the thought you put into this. Love the idea, need to see what's available.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 am

noseoil wrote:Not sure the design is going to seal tightly. The window needs to be strong enough to be pulled tightly against a gasket material or weather-strip. You may need to go to a thicker plexiglass & then have some decent weatherstrip applied to the opening. Next would be a "camming" latch mechanism, which will pull the window into place & lock past center, while pushing the window out to provide fresh air as it locks in the open position. You will need to fasten the latch pivot onto the window with small screws & nuts to hold it in place. Sounds like an interesting project to occupy your mind for a while. Geometry, graph paper, compass & ruler will do it, then a bit of fab time in the shop for the mock-up, perhaps a milling machine or drill press will do the job. Fun stuff to me, but off-the-shelf is easier during the design & planning stage!

Thanks a lot, I will look into this, too.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby OP827 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:50 pm

Try looking up Vestabule teardrop factory tour videos by Cosmo on YouTube and in articles here on the board, they use similar mechanism for round windows.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon May 11, 2020 1:59 pm

OP827 wrote:Try looking up Vestabule teardrop factory tour videos by Cosmo on YouTube and in articles here on the board, they use similar mechanism for round windows.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Thanks pal, yes that is very interesting. I just took a look. That is definitely a potential solution. I like the way it cinches down. That's what I'm after (DUH) is s tight seal. Will play around some to see what is possible.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Sat May 23, 2020 9:22 am

Here's what I've got working for now. Not elegant, but it keeps the window tightly closed and so I can at least use the trailer for now while I figure out something better.

DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby Tomterrific » Sat May 23, 2020 9:48 am

I like it.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:05 pm

I realize this an old thread, but there is a much more elegant, yet simple solution. Just add a small chunk of wood near the pull handle pivot point on the screen frame/ledge. This will become a fulcrum. Add a hook like keeper further away from the fulcrum to tuck the end of the pull stick under. The pull stick becomes a leaf style spring in the latch mechanism. By adjusting the height of the block and hook, you can set the preload on the window seal.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques