Pic Request: Epoxy over Baltic Birch

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Pic Request: Epoxy over Baltic Birch

Postby gpr5027 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Howdy,

Does anyone have a photo of some baltic birch (raw, no stain) that was epoxied, ideally with Raka? Not looking for examples where poly was used before or after, or with glass, spar varnish, etc. Just plain two part epoxy.

I am specifically looking to understand what kind of finish I can expect epoxy to yield when used on baltic birch or an equivalent light wood, and whether or not it would be "interior grade" and pretty. All of the photos I've been able to find are generally at the end of the builders process and include a combination of products, not just epoxy - and perhaps that's for a reason that only I am unaware of - but as a total newcomer to the world of epoxy and painting in general, I feel the need to ask.

Thank you!
gpr5027
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pic Request: Epoxy over Baltic Birch

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Check my build pictures closer to the end, I used Baltic birch plywood and epoxy on internal walls, entry and access doors. Links are in signature below.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:30 pm

The appearance of epoxy coating is close to oil based polyurethane over the Baltic birch plywood and it looks similar with glass cloth or without, because cloth becomes transparent with epoxy in it. Hope it helps.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:36 pm

OP827 wrote:The appearance of epoxy coating is close to oil based polyurethane over the Baltic birch plywood and it looks similar with glass cloth or without, because cloth becomes transparent with epoxy in it. Hope it helps.

I'll ditto that but add the word glossy.

And don't forget to buy their pumps... :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Yes Tony, agreed, epoxy is 100 percent solids and provides gloss finish on Baltic birch after a second coat. First coat gets somewhat absorbed by plywood fiber, but once first coat has sealed the fiber then all second coat epoxy stays on top and provides a high built gloss finish. With oil based poly you'll need multiple coats to get close to that same point.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby gpr5027 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Thanks guys. BTW, really neat build OP827! The glossy finish is what I was fearing. I don't love glossy. However, I think I dislike the orangey-tone of poly even more. Does epoxy at least maintain the light (almost white) finish of raw baltic birch, and add a glossy finish to that, or does it become both glossy AND orange? I really want to maintain the light wood look and keep the finish as flat/matte as possible, but I'm not sure it's possible without leaving it bare..
gpr5027
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Water based poly I think gives lightest white finish you can get. Epoxy penetrates wood and makes it darker then water based poly. I personally like epoxy finish, it does not look orange to me, it is rather warm color. You will have to test it or see others' builds. Note that all wood, that is clear coated will go darker with time. I have birch shelves from Ikea that were very light and after a few years they are pretty yellow now. Same with pine or other species.
Oh, as for gloss, you will have to coat epoxy with some clear coat anyways, so you can do it with non-gloss clear or to your taste.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:55 pm

gpr5027 wrote:Thanks guys. BTW, really neat build OP827! The glossy finish is what I was fearing. I don't love glossy. However, I think I dislike the orangey-tone of poly even more. Does epoxy at least maintain the light (almost white) finish of raw baltic birch, and add a glossy finish to that, or does it become both glossy AND orange? I really want to maintain the light wood look and keep the finish as flat/matte as possible, but I'm not sure it's possible without leaving it bare..

This is three coats of satin oil-based Minwax poly. Epoxy will create the same color. You can always apply a satin poly over epoxy.

And as mentioned, water-based poly will leave the birch the same color it was. I prefer the oil-based stuff to bring out the grain and add a bit of color.

Here's a galley shot showing the epoxy floor and poly'd birch and alder.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 am

tony.latham wrote:You can always apply a satin poly over epoxy.
Tony

That is an old wood finishing tip/trick. If you are looking for a satin finish, start with a clear gloss finish first and use a satin finish on the last coat.

You don't want to apply multiple coats of a satin finish. To get rid of the gloss, a satin finish contains solids to break up light transmission. Too many layers/coats of satin finish will result in a milky appearance.

Of course if you want to really go old school, apply just clear gloss finish. After curing, "sand" the surface with #0000 steel wool or use rubbing compound.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 am

aggie79 wrote:
tony.latham wrote:You can always apply a satin poly over epoxy.
Tony

That is an old wood finishing tip/trick. If you are looking for a satin finish, start with a clear gloss finish first and use a satin finish on the last coat.

You don't want to apply multiple coats of a satin finish. To get rid of the gloss, a satin finish contains solids to break up light transmission. Too many layers/coats of satin finish will result in a milky appearance.

Of course if you want to really go old school, apply just clear gloss finish. After curing, "sand" the surface with #0000 steel wool or use rubbing compound.

This forum needs a "like" button. You guys have so much good knowledge
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:39 am

This is epoxy over okume plywood on the kayak.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:07 am

Sparksalot wrote:This is epoxy over okume plywood on the kayak.

Sweet! That’s going to be one of my retirement projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby TomMaj » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:59 pm

Here's a couple pictures during my build years ago. Baltic birch with just 3 coats of epoxy, before I put on multiple coats of varnish.
Attachments
td fresh coat epoxy 03.jpg
td fresh coat epoxy 03.jpg (118.07 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
td fresh coat epoxy 04.jpg
td fresh coat epoxy 04.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
TomMaj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:55 pm

Sweet Jesus!

You're teardrop is one of "those". One of the teardrops that if I travel as a flight of two 'drops with you, the lookee-Lous just wanna see your camper and ignore mine.

:thumbsup:

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:58 pm

Our trailer is 11 years old. It is RAka with spar varnish over the top of baltic birch. With the epoxy only, it is glossy until you sand it for the final finish. Not sure why you don't want the final finish, as you need to cover the epoxy with the spar varnish to protect the expoy from sunlight. My finish has not has not changed color. Plus, also not wanting the super glossy finish, the spar varnish is satin, not high gloss. Check my album for photos. Please note, I have not uploaded any photos in the last five years, but it looks the same. We have refinished the varnish twice due to rain damage. It still looks like new.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques