Latch for Galley Hatch

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Latch for Galley Hatch

Postby Belmo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:31 am

I'm getting closer to being done, and I am thinking about something that I want some opinions about, especially opinions from people who have used a TD a bunch. It's about the latch for the galley hatch door.

All along, I've been planning on using the standard deal, like in the first picture, which is basically a slight modification of what is in almost every garage door in the country. But after thinking about it, I don't know that I like that setup: the rods that I've seen, the round metal things that will go into the wall of the camper to keep it closed, seem pretty flimsy to me, the installation is a hassle, and if your TD ever settles, even a little, the rods may no longer line up with the holes.

So I've been thinking about doing it differently, of using Jeep truck latches, like the ones in the second picture, on the outside, one on each side of the galley hatch door. These are VERY sturdy, very cheap, are made to withstand the rigors of being outside (they're made to be put on the outside of a car), and will be a piece of cake to install. And I think they look like they will work better for what I want to do.

I understand that the Jeep latches cannot be locked, but I don't really care about security: if someone wants to go into my galley when I'm there, the only thing they're going to get is practice. I just want something that will keep the hatch closed, securely, when we're not around or (and this is the important part) when we're towing it.

Does anyone with TD experience have any thoughts? The best suggestion will with the Kensington & Allegheny lottery: a dollar a year for a million years. :D

Thanks for reading.
Attachments
latech.jpg
latech.jpg (83.24 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
download.png
download.png (113.19 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Belmo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Latch for Galley Hatch

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:50 am

Use those and add a locking normal padlock hasp in the center for securing while stored.
Steve

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby TimC » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:41 pm

+1 on the rubber latches. I have had two on my hatch since 2015 and they still hold well and show no sign of wear or deterioration. And +1 on the hasp addition. It's a simple way to lock it up. If there is nothing inside worth stealing don't bother. Less damage if some nefarious person happens to need to look inside. I don't lock mine...

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby David H. » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:29 pm

Look at popup trailer latches. They are all metal,adjustable, and can accept a padlock. 12$ a pair
David H.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 am

I used these. $20.50 Australian. So about $15 US today.
Modified the hook to go around the corner. Worked fine.
Bought some tamper resistant screws to go in at the lastmoment, after paint, adjustments etc.
Latch 2.JPG
Latch 2.JPG (76.84 KiB) Viewed 1646 times

Latches.JPG
Latches.JPG (114.1 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MickinOz » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:51 am

P.S. nothing wrong with those things in the second picture of the first post. They've been keeping Landcruiser hoods shut since 1941 and, in Outback Oz, all other 4WDs are measured against the Landcruiser. Of course, the first Landcruiser was modeled on an American Jeep they captured in the Phillipines.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby working on it » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:39 am

* For latching a standard teardrop hatch, the Jeep-style hood latches would be fine, coupled with lockable hasps for security. Since my squareback trailer has a completely vertical hatch, I figured a set of double-hinged hasps would be enough, but eventually the single sheet of 3/4" plywood (that my hatch is cut from) pulled away from the side-seals enough to allow dust in while on-road. S I added a pair of 90 degree draw latches near the bottom, and later a second pair higher-up, to finally keep the hatch closed all the way.

* The hasps were/are great for security, with two large padlocks installed, but didn't allow any tightening-up, later on. The smaller 90 degree draw latches have a springiness to their design, which allows them to be drawn more tightly together than the hasp, and still be easy to fasten or release. They are lockable too (though only with tiny locks, and a release pin that allows them to be closed securely, even without a lock attached.
hasp & latches added to hold hatch tightly closed.jpg
hasp & latches added to hold hatch tightly closed.jpg (189.7 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques