Hanging Curtains from Challenger Doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Hanging Curtains from Challenger Doors

Postby Finlander » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:44 pm

How about using magnets, isn't the door metal? As you probably end up making the curtains anyway, why not add magnets into the corners which would hold up the curtains? Would be easy to adjust and remove the curtains and wouldn't need to drill any holes in the door.

I intend to countersink magnets into my windowframe as it is wood.
Finlander
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:46 pm

the doors being used here are made of Aluminum = not very 'magnetic'..............along with the inside surface being made of a 'foam' core insulation material............
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Finlander » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:05 am

One could use double sided tape to attach the magnets to the door. Still no drilling or rods. Just pull the curtain off and fold it away. With a magnet in each corner you can sort of pull the curtain half way up by simply re-attaching the curtains bottom corner magnets to the upper ones, folding the curtain in half.
Finlander
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JoeGrz » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:39 am

What did Shelly come up with? Looking at your build journal, she appeared to use buttons some how. If I had to guess, she used the Command hooks with a button or knob as a retainer to keep the curtain on the hook.

I look forward to seeing the response since I have the same question and what I saw in your journal appears different from the responses.

Joe
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:28 pm

Ours have regular Curtin rods with L shaped curtin rod holders. The have been there for better than 12 years.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:30 am

JoeGrz wrote:What did Shelly come up with? Looking at your build journal, she appeared to use buttons some how. If I had to guess, she used the Command hooks with a button or knob as a retainer to keep the curtain on the hook.

I look forward to seeing the response since I have the same question and what I saw in your journal appears different from the responses.

Joe

Sorry, from the time we started to think about the problem to implementing the solution was so long I forgot to follow up on this thread.

Shelly ended up simply using velcro with a peel-off backing to stick to the doors, then sewing velcro onto the curtains. I was skeptical that the glue in the velcro would stick, but we've been camping all Summer in the extremes of humidity, and all seems well. <knock wood>

She also sewed on buttons, and button loops so that we can adjust what the curtains cover. Generally, we keep them just up above the open windows.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby JoeGrz » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:04 pm

Thanks Tom & Shadow Catcher. Now that we know a couple paths to get there, I will have to see what my better half comes up with.

Joe
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques