Newbie Looking for Help with Wall Construction

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Newbie Looking for Help with Wall Construction

Postby Kuda » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:39 am

Hey all. I'm pretty new to this community and am currently in the designing phase of my first build. I wanted to get some advice in regards to how I would go about wall and insulation framing. My current build consists of a skeleton of 2x4's and 2x2's sandwiched between 1/4" interior plywood and 3/4" exterior plywood along with insulation in the voids. I am trying to keep this build under 1000 lbs (if thats even possible lol) but I still would like it to be able to have a very solid construction. Are the 2x4's overkill? Should I go with a plywood skeleton? Here's a picture of what I have made so far in regards to modeling:
Thanks for any and all input.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 11.23.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 11.23.57 AM.png (956.71 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
Kuda
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie Looking for Help with Wall Construction

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:55 am

Are the 2x4's overkill? Should I go with a plywood skeleton?

Yes, and yes.

sandwiched between 1/4" interior plywood and 3/4" exterior plywood

And yes, that's gross overkill too. I think you'll be pushing a lot more than a thousand pounds.

This will do you fine:

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:17 am

Agree with Tony. ^^^^

Mine is plenty strong using 1x2’s and 1x3’s to make the 3/4” thick skeleton. Titebond II wood glue and a Kreg pocket hole jig are great for fastening the skeleton together. I used 2x2’s for the roof beams. Gluing and screwing the 1/4 ply exterior wall to the skeleton makes it a super strong monocoque structure. No 2x4’s needed.

One other way to go is to make a one piece wall skeleton from a sheet of 3/4 ply, cutting out holes for where you want the insulation to go. This may be even stronger but I couldn’t bring myself to waste that much wood, lol. But I can see how the hollowed out 3/4 ply skeleton would be easier/better to make than a stick-built frame on a traditional curvy teardrop.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wannabefree » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 pm

I suggest you take a look in the gallery for some trailers under construction. I used 3/4 ply for the frame, but cut out as much material as I could. The way I did this was to make a 1/4 ply pattern, cut out as much waste material as I felt was safe so it looked like swiss cheese, then pattern routed out 3/4 panels for the framing. The result is I had 1-1/2w by 3/4 thick framing members with no joinery except where I spliced 2 panels together to get 10 feet length. Look at my gallery; I can't explain this better, I am afraid. I skinned the outside with 1/4 ply and inside with 1/8. The top I skinned with a double layer of 1/8 ply. My floor is 1/2 inch, next time I would go 1/4. Then I fiberglassed the whole thing.
If I ever did this again (I won't), I would not double-skin the top and would consider 1/8 for the outer walls. Ours is a very sturdy trailer. Remember a sheet of 3/4 ply is about 90 pounds. a few of those and you will have a real weight challenge on your hands. Also, give a good look at baltic birch as suggested above. It is much higher quality than anything you'll find at Home Cheapo, not much more expensive, and the strength to weight ratio it 2 to 3 times that of construction grade ply.
As has been said many times, most newbies overbuild. I get it, I did not want to build a trailer that was going to fall apart on the first trip. Trust us, good materials (baltic birch) and good joinery (screws and glue, not nails) are more important than a lot of heavy lumber.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Postby bartek » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:01 am

I did it exactly according to Tony's picture (no surprise, I've been following his book :) ). My only mistake is that I didn't cut out nearly enough from the plywood skeleton, so I'm sure the result is way heavier than it needed to be... Only after building have I realized how much of the strength comes from the torsion box design.
I also decided to double skin the top - will know how much of a mistake that was once I'm ready to drive to the scale :)
Image 6x10 family teardrop, build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73426
bartek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:16 am

My skeleton structure is 1/2" plywood cut into 1" strips and doubled to make 1x1's. Now that I am getting 1/4" ply on the outside it is already getting nice and strong. Once I clue in the foam and get the inner skin on there will be no worries.

My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:59 am

This was the last studded skeleton I built with 2 x 3's 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 actual with 1" x 1" wind bracing let in diagonally. Image

After this the next 2 builds were designed as ultra lights. Rip van winkle was a 4 x 7 build to tow with the Goldwing. It came in at #525 pounds ready to camp. It was a plywood sided build

Image spars were rabbeted and set in pockets the screws were angled up across grain rather than just straight into the end.

Image Yes you now have a wiggly box !

Image Half walls were added to offer stability and reinforcement. By cutting in access holes I was able to create storage shelves

Image These front and rear wall inserts took all the wiggle out of the box

Image The storage shelving was a very welcome addition

Image Lest you think we left out the creature comforts like insulation I wrapped 1 1/2 blue foam cut to fit with a heavy weight material for good looks and stuffed them into place.

Image the torsion box floor was filled with closed cell insulation and an OSB panel was placed on top for the sub flooring.

Image And yes it has a 10 foot wide kitchen. ( just wide enough to tuck under a 10 x 10 popup) :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby noseoil » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:26 am

Similar to Tony's, but I used 3/4" frame with 1/8" skins both inside & outside. Plenty strong & light, 3/4" insulation in the sides.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques