Gusset Size for Hatch?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Gusset Size for Hatch?

Postby dtaylorl » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 pm

Hey everyone - we're building our first teardrop using our own custom plans, but largely following Dad Rambles on YouTube (who follows the Steve Frederick method). We're at the point where we need to plan how our hatch is going to work, but we're just realizing that we didn't account for the size of the gusset when we were planning our kitchen cabinets. So, I'm wondering how big this gusset really needs to be? Is there a standard size when using this method? Our profile at the back of the trailer is vertical where the counter is, and then begins to curve above that. Is it okay to have the gusset fairly thin on the straight part, and then get wider through the curve? My understanding is that it's main purpose is to prevent spring back, so it's most important on the curve?
dtaylorl
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Gusset Size for Hatch?

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:52 pm

So, I'm wondering how big this gusset really needs to be?

That's a good question and I don't have a definitive answer --but you're right about the curve.

I start out at about 2-1/2" and then taper out to a bump-out for the strut attachment. From there it's 3" to 3–1/2" with 4" in the tight curve.

I think using the gusset is a big deal for a strut attachment point.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jgizzi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:16 am

Our teardrop is toaster shaped with 23" radius curves front and back which is what I believe you are describing, or close to it anyway. We went with 4" gusset through the curve and then gently narrowed down to the width of the hatch end piece. We did this because we needed some flexibility in locating the strut attachment points as we hadn't determined the appropriate strut yet.

Note that our shape forced a very narrow range of choices for struts, namely one. We were forced to go with the 35" struts and the bottom end is located so close to the bulkhead that it necessitated cutting slots into the ends of the galley shelf in order to locate the struts.
Jim Gizzi
Ferndale, WA
Way up in the upper left corner ;-)
jgizzi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dtaylorl » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks to both of you for the replies. A toaster is probably a good way to describe the profile of our trailer. I think we've got room for 2", maybe a bit more on the straight part, and can definitely taper out to 4" or more through most of the curve, and hopefully that'll be sufficient.

Appreciate the tips about the strut attachment - hadn't considered that aspect, but definitely will now!
dtaylorl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 pm

Appreciate the tips about the strut attachment ....

The gusset works well for it. I inset T-nuts from the outside of the gusset and bolt the bracket to it. It's not going to fail.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques