Floor Construction

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Floor Construction

Postby Capebuild » Fri May 14, 2021 3:46 am

Hello.... I'm starting to think about how the floor will be constructed which will be inner framed members sandwiched with outer layers of 1/8 inch ply.
My question is.... do the outer ply layers get stapled to the inner framework..... or is it sufficient to just use a liberal amount of titebond, stack a ton of weight on the ply surface/and use clamps around the perimeter...
and let it "cure"?

I don't mind stapling the bottom layer that will sit on the trailer frame (and not be seen), but the top layer that will be visible on the interior of the cabin, I'd rather not see staples....so is just gluing sufficient?

Thank you for the help.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Floor Construction

Postby QueticoBill » Fri May 14, 2021 5:09 am

I'm planning just glue and probably a pin nailer to hold it while glue sets. Also not planning any framing other than perimeter and single seam, foam between. I am planning 1/4" ply, but 1/8" would work as well.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Fri May 14, 2021 6:55 am

I would think glue would be fine as you can clamp the edges and put some weights in the center. In reality, I hardly ever see the floor of mine as the mattress covers it.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:22 am

TB glue works well when there is a really good joint

it has no gap filling qualities

IF you have a LOT OF WEIGHT to keep the inner surfaces forced together it will be just fine

any point/area where the surfaces aren't tight wont bond

this is where gap filling bonding agents ike epoxy n PL Premium 3x shine

TB dries whereas epoxy and PL Premium 3x cure

the differences are the resulting from DRY vs CURE

DRYING involves the evaporation of moisture resulting in shrinkage

CURING is when the entire volume/weight of a substance remains the same during the process like epoxy or expands like in the case of PL Premium 3x

if you go with TB make sure to moisten(damp rag) both surfaces AND slather the stuff on bothsurfaces to be joined to prevent joint starving from lack of adequate glue

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby noseoil » Fri May 14, 2021 7:27 am

We used Titebond, weights & a pin-tacker to put the floors in place. Once the glue sets up over night, it's good to go & ready to finish top & bottom.

At that point, we picked up the mounting holes so when the build was finished, it was ready to be bolted in place. Makes it easier to see how things will be installed. Elevator bolts were used to fasten the deck in place (counter-bore was ground from an old speed-bor type of drill bit) but it's nice to know the bolts will line up properly once the build is ready to fasten to the frame.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:26 pm

Just a follow up. I just completed adhering the bottom layer of floor ply to the frame. I wound up using PL3X. I can see the issue with using that is the stuff is so thick and viscous it's difficult to get a good surface to surface contact. Luckily had a lot of clamps to help but still wound up with a slight (less than a 1/16") space. I suppose the downside of using Titebond is that both surfaces would need to be coated. I think maybe when I go to apply the top side of the floor I might kind of squeegee it out a bit to reduce the height as opposed to just leaving it straight out of the tube in a back and forth zig zag pattern, which is what I did with the current application.

IMG_5345.JPG
IMG_5345.JPG (135.95 KiB) Viewed 902 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Bezoar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:22 pm

I used pinking shears to cut old motel key cards in half and it makes 2 free PL 3X squeegees!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:43 pm

I suppose the downside of using Titebond is that both surfaces would need to be coated.

Why both? For walls and floor sheathing, I just slop Titebond on with a paintbrush. (and use Titebond 3 to give me more open time.) I'm not concerned with squeeze out inside.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques