Cut down RV Doors for road side (US)

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cut down RV Doors for road side (US)

Postby AKRefugee » Fri May 28, 2021 2:58 pm

I would like to cut down an RV door for my teardrop. I will have doors on both curbside and road side. RV doors are set up for the curbside and I see no problem.
I have not found any roadside doors. Ideas on what to do about the roadside?
AKRefugee
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Cut down RV Doors for road side (US)

Postby jlw » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:02 pm

are you just trying to avoid suicide doors? maybe turn the down over? might not work if you have windows, unless you can flip them also?
jlw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:55 am

AKRefugee wrote:I would like to cut down an RV door for my teardrop. I will have doors on both curbside and road side. RV doors are set up for the curbside and I see no problem.

I do not understand the need for a different door on the roadside. Every trailer I have seen that has a roadside door uses the same door for both sides. I'm curious why you want a different door on the roadside. You may need to make your doors to get what you want.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jlw » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:45 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:
AKRefugee wrote:I would like to cut down an RV door for my teardrop. I will have doors on both curbside and road side. RV doors are set up for the curbside and I see no problem.

I do not understand the need for a different door on the roadside. Every trailer I have seen that has a roadside door uses the same door for both sides. I'm curious why you want a different door on the roadside. You may need to make your doors to get what you want.

All the teardrops I have seen that have two doors and do not use the same door on both sides. One is left hinge, one is right hinge
jlw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby western traveler » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:03 pm

^ Yep
I am not sure he is still active here but there are manufactured TD doors sold with left and right hand hinges. I will be installing a couple in the next couple days.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:43 pm

Just flip the door and seal any seams that were previously left open on the bottom.
Or swap the hinges on the door and flip the frame.
Some disassembly and cutting will be necessary. But if you're cutting the door(s) down anyway, you're already there.

My experience with tearing down RVs and trailers says you'll be adding a lot of weight, though.
For example: The last one that I tore down, a Class C Winnebago, had a door that weighed more than the entire roof (including the rear 'wall' - it was integral to the roof). I knew the doors were heavy. They always are.
But I did not expect to find that 26 feet of roof (and a 'wall') weighed less than one door. :o
Squigie
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques