intalling trim

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

intalling trim

Postby Melle.17 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:34 pm

I'm getting closer to when I need to install my trim. A few questions have come up and I want to be ready. HOpefully someone can give me some insight.

1. Best tool to cut a hurricane hinge? i need to cut it down a bit (still leaving an overhang on each side). Do i need to use and angle grinder or is there a simpler way?

2. Do i put butyl tape under each and every piece and part of trim?

3. How far apart do I put the screws on the trim?

4. Installing my fan I will be puttting butyl tape under that and using ProFlex RV sealant. Do I need to use that ProFlex around trim too? Around hinges?

Thank you everyone. I am definitely learning as I go. Hopefully this weekend I'll get my hatch door dialed in (third times the charm... right?) and then I'll be sealing it up and painting with MonstaLiner. Then comes the trim and finishing up the doors. Getting excited but also terrified lol. Any and all helpful comments are definitely welcome at this point. Couldn't have built this thing without you guys, Facebook, and the multiple YouTube videos I've watched. Happy travels!
Melle.17
Teardrop Builder

Re: intalling trim

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat May 29, 2021 4:23 pm

Melle.17 wrote:I'm getting closer to when I need to install my trim. A few questions have come up and I want to be ready. HOpefully someone can give me some insight.

1. Best tool to cut a hurricane hinge? i need to cut it down a bit (still leaving an overhang on each side). Do i need to use and angle grinder or is there a simpler way?

2. Do i put butyl tape under each and every piece and part of trim?

3. How far apart do I put the screws on the trim?

4. Installing my fan I will be puttting butyl tape under that and using ProFlex RV sealant. Do I need to use that ProFlex around trim too? Around hinges?

Thank you everyone. I am definitely learning as I go. Hopefully this weekend I'll get my hatch door dialed in (third times the charm... right?) and then I'll be sealing it up and painting with MonstaLiner. Then comes the trim and finishing up the doors. Getting excited but also terrified lol. Any and all helpful comments are definitely welcome at this point. Couldn't have built this thing without you guys, Facebook, and the multiple YouTube videos I've watched. Happy travels!

We didn't use aluminum trim on our tear, but we did use a hurricane hinge. An angle grinder is overkill (may work okay though :thinking: ). A hacksaw will work. Use a fine file to take off any burrs and to round sharp corners slightly so no one gets cut.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: intalling trim

Postby noseoil » Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 am

Butyl tape is under each piece of trim on our build & any penetrations through the skins (the battery snoot, doors, roof vent) to keep water out of the edges & I put a dab of caulk in each hole to seal it against future leaks prior to screwing in the edges with stainless steel screws.

The screw spacing varies a bit on ours, but in general, you can use longer spacing on flats & then closer spacing on curves to help pull the trim tight on curves. 6" should be on the flats, but on curves 4" might be better, just depends on how you're building & how tightly things pull up.

You can caulk the edges for a better job, but if the trailer is kept under cover most of the time, it isn't really necessary. The butyl gooey-pucker lasts pretty well, but a caulked edge is a bit better over time. That being said, we didn't caulk edges, just used the tape to seal things. Initially, the trailer was in Tucson, which softened the butyl tape & it oozed a little, which needed scraping after a while until things settled into place. Now it has a parking space in our garage, so there have been no issues & it's still tight with no leaks.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques