Where headliner meets galley

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Where headliner meets galley

Postby Capebuild » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Hello. Would anyone have a photo (or two) they could share of where the headliner terminates at the galley. I was planning on having the ply lay on top of the top of the galley wall but I’d rather not have the end grain of the ply showing. Curious how others have done this and looking for some inspiration.

Thank you

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Where headliner meets galley

Postby noseoil » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:42 am

John, here's what I did. The headliner is glued, clamped & fastened to the rear spar (the hinge spar in this case). It's red oak, so the fasteners would hold well in the hardwood & not strip out.

The hinge will cover the end grain when it's installed. No worries about this edge.

I guess you could rabbet the headliner into the terminal spar, but it's covered anyway by the hinge, so why bother?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mountainminded » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 am

Here is an image of mine butting up to the Hinge Beam:

And from the inside:

Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TimC » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:16 am

I'm looking at how Mountainminded has his and then looked at your cabinet frames (page 7 of your build). I would think you could add the cleat that mountainminded has but below your headliner and glued to the back side of the last cabinet frame. The headliner would then butt up against that frame and be glued to the cleat even with the frame member so as to be hidden.

Of course at which cabinet frame the headliner ends and where your hatch starts is also important.

Photos of my application would not be helpful as my design of the bulkhead and hatch is not comparable.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:43 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate it. I did wind up having some thoughts about it similar to what you both, Mountainminded and Noseoil have suggested. In fact I had to smile when I read your post, Tim, as I had just returned from the local lumber yard with a 1x6 of red oak which I intend to cut in half and those would be my first spars (the remaining spars on planning on 5/4 poplar). The outside piece of oak would sit on top of the cabinetry in the headliner recess. I think the color/texture combo of the Baltic Birch and red oak will look nice together, and it will give a good, solid wood for the fasteners to hold the hinge. I might mill down a small piece of oak as a piece of molding of sorts to add a bit of detail from the birch to the oak.

thanks again for the help.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:16 pm

It's a poor picture but my headliner butts to the bulkhead.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques