Butcher block style plywood roof?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Butcher block style plywood roof?

Postby Themontashu » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:31 am

So I’m in the process of designing my trailer and want to do something unique.

I was thinking about the possibility of taking the laminated skeletonized plywood wall thing a step further. Using a CNC machine I could cut out the roof strip by strip and glue it up with the edge running along the roof surface.

I’m thinking about making the roof 1 1/2-2” thick, and having it be hollow so I can put in insulation. For gluing my plan is to put in holes that will allow me to use through bolts as claps in 4”-6” sections, the. All thread can be used to put them all together.

I think a clear fiberglass wrap and good wood would eliminate most moisture issues and allow for the edge of the plywood to be seen (that’s the point right?)

My main contents are moisture (hopefully the glass would do it) and glue up, not enough is bad, but too much would take forever to clean up and make assembly a nightmare.

I also understand this is going to be heavy as I’ll need to make the material thicker above and below the insulation. I think I’ll have to make some mock up panels and smash then with a hammer or something to see how light I can make it, and decide from there.

Any thoughts? Gonna work? Am I crazy?
Themontashu
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Butcher block style plywood roof?

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:56 am

Gonna work? Am I crazy?

Well: Maybe and yes. But we're all a bit nuts so the latter issue isn't a big deal. I do understand the appeal of plywood edge grain.

Those are a couple of chairs my wife and I cranked out. Each one took a full sheet of 3/4" ply, BTW.

Assuming you are building a more-or-less typical teardrop, I think the hatch will be way too heavy using this type of construction.

One of the great things about a teardrop is that they aren't that heavy to pull. Your's will deviate from that benefit.

Glassing/epoxy/spar varnish will work fine for your concept. It's been done that way with cedar strip canoes and woody teardrops for decades. So moisture isn't an issue.

It's just a question of whether or not you want to put that much more weight and time into your build. But I don't see it working with a hatch. A normal 5' wide hatch is already about fifty pounds.

Here's a quick video of installing a headliner in a "semi-normal" teardrop.

It'll give you a sense of weight and ease of construction.

Something to kick around your campfire. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:27 am

Edge grain can be beautiful.Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby TimC » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:42 pm

Themontashu wrote: ...

I think I’ll have to make some mock up panels and smash then with a hammer or something to see how light I can make it, and decide from there.

It could be a beautiful and unique look.

Maybe a stress test other than a blow from a blunt object may be in order. I don't know if any of our roofs could withstand that kind of beating. I'm sure there are some engineer types here that could suggest other testing.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Themontashu » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:12 pm

TimC wrote:

I think I’ll have to make some mock up panels and smash then with a hammer or something to see how light I can make it, and decide from there.

Maybe a stress test other than a blow from a blunt object may be in order. I don't know if any of our roofs could withstand that kind of beating. I'm sure there are some engineer types here that could suggest other testing.

Funny enough, that was just a general “I’m gonna see how strong it is” my last job title was literally “test engineer” and I e tested small trailers off road. I can come up with something, if I really wanna get fancy I can get my hands on an Insteon crusherator and I can get real numbers for all kinds of parameters. You’d also be surprised how impact resistant wood and fiberglass can be. There’s something to be said for some give.
Themontashu
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:36 pm

TimC wrote:

The Sinbin AKA Hail Magnet. Has seen dime to nickle sized hail three times now. It may have few small voids under the fiberglass from the trauma. Still truckin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Themontashu wrote: You’d also be surprised how impact resistant wood and fiberglass can be. There’s something to be said for some give.

That was my Dad's advice regarding marriage! (more or less.) :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques