A different PMF,will it work?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: A different PMF,will it work?

Postby mwjones » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:18 am

Hello Everyone,
I have access to free paint.
I've been reading for months ' boarding too much. What's wrong with omitting any/all glues and simply use paint and canvas to seal floors walls and roofs - sanding inbetween coats.

I've seen a couple TDs done with this method and I have to say they looked good.

What am I missing?

Thanks

W
Hat
mwjones
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:23 am

That was how it was done on ships for hundreds of years. Using paint or primer is fine. The strength comes from the "sock" effect .

I would use oil based paint/primer to adhere the canvas to wood. Latex for foam.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CanuckShooter » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:02 am

Mark Gunter wrote:For me, the big misnomer in so-called PMF is the “F” because combinations of cotton cloth, adhesive & paint has nothing whatsoever to do with Fiberglass lol.

All of my experience with fiberglass has been of a professional nature doing auto body repair on header panels and on corvettes. I’ve had excellent results with fiberglass.

My only experience with so-called PMF has been on my current camper build, a 11.5’ by 7’3” standy. I decided early on that I didn’t wish to do Fiberglass over that large a project. So far, I’m extremely pleased with my choice of skinning this tank with canvas & paint. Just finished the exterior this week and it looks great. Only time will tell regarding durability.

If the exterior holds up as well as I believe it will, I’ll be a proponent of so-called PMF … but with respect to any who prefer “the real deal.” What I wouldn’t do is take the approach OP suggested. Stick to one or the other.

My 7x14 has made two full years and is holding up fine, I did use waterproof glue and waterproof stain in the application of the canvas. Mine was built in the shop during colder weather so I chose PMF over fiberglass for ease of application and lower costs.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:01 pm

I only applied paint to adhere and fill the canvas on my build.
Just like applying paste to be hanging wallpaper.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques