More PMF sadness :(

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

More PMF sadness :(

Postby Kajsama » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:34 am

Hello!

I posted awhile ago about my concerns about the durability of my PMF over foam. I explained in my original post that I made a few mistakes in my technique — not using thick enough fabric, painting in cold temps.

I was concerned about how fragile my PMF seemed at the time. It was easy to dent with a finger, and I even gauged a small hole in the slide accidentally. Based on advice last time, I elected to wait awhile in hopes that the paint would cure and the PMF would harden.

Unfortunately this hasn’t happened. The PMF still seems soft and I’m worried that it won’t hold up outside or on the road.

What would everyone recommend? My ideas…

1. Tear off PMF and redo it with thicker fabric :(
2. Put another layer of PMF over the current finish (is this insane?)
3. Put something else over current finish…aluminum (yikes $$), fiberglass, etc?
4. Do nothing and pray…

I really appreciate all of the support and advice!

Kajsa
Kajsama
Teardrop Inspector

Re: More PMF sadness :(

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:42 am

Kajsama wrote:Hello!

I posted awhile ago about my concerns about the durability of my PMF over foam. I explained in my original post that I made a few mistakes in my technique — not using thick enough fabric, painting in cold temps.

I was concerned about how fragile my PMF seemed at the time. It was easy to dent with a finger, and I even gauged a small hole in the slide accidentally. Based on advice last time, I elected to wait awhile in hopes that the paint would cure and the PMF would harden.

Unfortunately this hasn’t happened. The PMF still seems soft and I’m worried that it won’t hold up outside or on the road.

What would everyone recommend? My ideas…

1. Tear off PMF and redo it with thicker fabric :(
2. Put another layer of PMF over the current finish (is this insane?)
3. Put something else over current finish…aluminum (yikes $$), fiberglass, etc?
4. Do nothing and pray…

I really appreciate all of the support and advice!

Kajsa

I don't know where you are located so i don't know if you've had warm enough weather for long enough for the paint to cure. The problem is that bed sheets even under ideal conditions aren't going to meet your expectations for durability. I covered the inside of mine with linen fabric and it's nowhere near as durable as the outside covered in 10oz. canvas.

So, what to do? Here's my opinion on the options you give.

1. Tear off. Depending on how tightly the fabric is adhered, that could be a lot of work and you could damage the foam underneath.
2. Recover. That can work. On mine, the inside walls were covered before assembly and strips of canvas applied to the joints to tie the walls together. That has held for ten years, but that was on the inside. I've changed the side door and that was blended to the original canvas with strips of new canvas. That is outside and has held for three years and still looks good. It all depends on the base layer being well adhered. Make sure the surface is clean and scuffed and make sure you use plenty of glue.
3. That's up to you but that's a last resort IMO.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: More PMF sadness :(

Postby TimC » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:25 pm

I agree with Pat, but, I think my strategy would be just to use it for a month or two and see how it holds up. Being over foam there will be little to no water soaking into the base. If the result is peeling PMF you can move to the other options. At that point temperatures should be better for PMF tasks (unless you are in the southern hemisphere).

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques