How large can they be safely?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

How large can they be safely?

Postby SandraMort » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:32 am

If I'm looking at a 4x8 trailer, is there any reason I can't put a sturdy 6x8 frame on the trailer and then build on top of it. so it's 1' extra on the left and right? Or does the foundation (or whatever it's called in a trailer) have to be exactly the size of the trailer?

How do I know how tall the whole unit can be built (not counting the trailer itself)? Is there any reason I can't make it high enough for my 6' husband to stand comfortably?

Thanks!
Sandra
SandraMort
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How large can they be safely?

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:24 am

Why not build on a 5'-wide trailer? You're asking a lot from something that skinny. Six bits says you'll have to upgrade the suspension and there's the crosswind issue. We were headed to Chaco Canyon one fine day and the winds were 60 mph. Our camper did fine... but there's a point.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:15 pm

tony.latham wrote:Why not build on a 5'-wide trailer? You're asking a lot from something that skinny. Six bits says you'll have to upgrade the suspension and there's the crosswind issue. We were headed to Chaco Canyon one fine day and the winds were 60 mph. Our camper did fine... but there's a point.

Tony

Tony is correct and, anyway, you'll want more leg space when you lay down. A 5x10 chassis would give you that in both directions, as well as probably giving you a better quality trailer frame to work with. Have you ever heard the expression, "It has good bones"? In my opinion, it starts there. I have never heard anybody say they regretted building a 5' wide, but I have heard that numerous times about a 4' wide. If not a 5x10', then at least a 5x8'. That's my opinion.

PS. A 5' wide trailer bed can be just 1" narrower (59") than a queen size bed (60") at home!
Last edited by S. Heisley on Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:29 pm

SandraMort wrote:...How do I know how tall the whole unit can be built (not counting the trailer itself)? Is there any reason I can't make it high enough for my 6' husband to stand comfortably?

Thanks!
Sandra

While it's possible, it may not be practical to build too high. The higher it travels, the more you will be blown about by not only the wind but also tractor-trailers/semis. The taller these little trailers are when they are being towed, the more unstable they can become.

Maybe build one with a lifting roof? It's not as difficult as one might think. Take a look at some of the trailers here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969

Will you be building out of Styrofoam (see foamies) or plywood or...?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby SandraMort » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:33 am

tony.latham wrote:Why not build on a 5'-wide trailer? You're asking a lot from something that skinny. Six bits says you'll have to upgrade the suspension and there's the crosswind issue. We were headed to Chaco Canyon one fine day and the winds were 60 mph. Our camper did fine... but there's a point.

Tony

*laugh* Simple reason why not. I'd only seen 4' wide so far! How wide are the mid-range (not too expensive, but not flimsy) trailers available?

Merci,
Sandra
Last edited by SandraMort on Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SandraMort
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SandraMort » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:37 am

While it's possible, it may not be practical to build too high. The higher it travels, the more you will be blown about by not only the wind but also tractor-trailers/semis. The taller these little trailers are when they are being towed, the more unstable they can become.

Blown about by large vehicles? Are you referring to the way the car will swerve as large vehicles pass by? Or do you mean something else?

Maybe build one with a lifting roof? It's not as difficult as one might think. Take a look at some of the trailers here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969

Thanks! I will take a look. Yes , I was concerned that it would be too difficult.

Will you be building out of Styrofoam (see foamies) or plywood or...?

DEFINITELY a foamie. My prius isn't going to pull much more. As it is, I think I need to wait until I park at my final destination to put water into the tanks.

Grazie,
Sandra
SandraMort
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:23 pm

Blown about by large vehicles? Are you referring to the way the car will swerve as large vehicles pass by? Or do you mean something else?

Yes. That and the wind.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:09 pm

Wind resistance is a bigger factor than weight when towing with an "underpowered" TV. You will feel the degraded performance more towing a large "foam wall" then you will from towing a heavier, but shorter cabin that is closer to matching your vehicle's frontal area. Lift up or flip up, or even trolley top would be better than just going tall. Other option is to sink the part of your floor where you want to stand, or a combination of these techniques.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby terrymorse » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:57 am

SandraMort wrote:DEFINITELY a foamie. My prius isn't going to pull much more.

A Prius? Yeah, you'd better be going ultra-light. Aluminum frame, with composite unibody.

Northern Tool makes an aluminum 5 x 8 trailer.
terrymorse
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques