How did you guys attach your bulkhead?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: How did you guys attach your bulkhead?

Postby working on it » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:37 am

My 4'x8' trailer was designed for a solo camper, either for my wife to use when "bigfoot-hunting" with her group, or as it turned out, for me with my new-found camping friends. The basic sizing was based around using a traditional 48" x 96" plywood sheet for a base, and around a 38” x 75” twin-size mattress as the inner-cabin size. My wife is 5'4", and I'm 5'10.5", so there would be enough space for either of us, or perhaps even both if that was to occur.
twin on trailer base,before extension.JPG
old twin-bed frame placed atop my derelict/broken/unused for 20 years, $50 swap-meet special trailer as a size test
twin on trailer base,before extension.JPG (52.77 KiB) Viewed 273 times

I placed the 3/4" thick walls on the top of the floor, which made the overall inside dimensions 46.5" x 95.25" (front wall on top of, rear hatch abutting/overhanging the floor), and the rear bulkhead was positioned at exactly 75.25" from the front wall, leaving 20" for the rear storage/galley compartment). When I was trying different mattress and bedding configurations later on, after each trip, I found that it took both my wife and myself to reach in from both sides to change bedding, so perhaps I should've left a longer space for the mattress, and reduced the galley space a bit. I eventually ditched the mattress and bedding altogether, going to a 75"L x 39"W x 4"Th quad-fold mattress (with durable cover, folds up enogh to fit thru the door) in conjunction with two king-sized pillows and my choice of summer or winter-weight sleeping bag (both are taken on every trip, since Texas weather is so unpredictable).
folding mattress.jpg
durable cover, easy to clean, folding for easier removal if needed
folding mattress.jpg (78.24 KiB) Viewed 273 times

I put shelving on each end of the cabin space, 22" above either my head or feet https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72529&hilit=+rear+shelf#p1260917, so there's no problem with contact. Actually, since I often have leg/foot cramps at night, especially in hot weather, having my feet so close to the wall (front wall, since my sleeping position is head towards the rear) gives me something to press against, to relieve the cramps. YMMV

My trailer is built to address my needs, function over form, so I'm happy with it (now), though I thought I had worked-out in advance before building, every problem that might arise while camping, I've been constantly modifying the trailer after every trip (not the last one, I'm finally satisfied with it) for 10 years (12 years total build + camping time). GL to you on your build!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:16 pm

aggie79 wrote:The inside dimensions were 57” x 78” - slightly smaller than a queen size mattress, although a queen size fit fine. Yes, we did have a headboard cabinet. It allowed a place to set eyeglasses and phones. Although it had doors, the cabinet itself was filled with supply ducts and return air plenum from/to the air conditioning unit in the tongue box. The supply air blew through vents/grates on the top of the cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aggie, that's a good size for an "almost"queen mattress. I don't think I can do a 78" with mine, it will leave me about 16" for the galley (bulkhead wall and hatch measurements included). I will have to shorten my queen mattress and use an electric bread knife of some sort to make it fit. But, I don't think my camper is as long as yours if you can also have a headboard and still have room for a 78" mattress. Great idea with the vents in the headboard. My air condition is tentatively going to be placed outside in a DIY box, moveable for times that I won't need it and can be left at home, with vents for in/out closer to the curve part of my benroy.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:13 am

working on it wrote:My 4'x8' trailer was designed for a solo camper, either for my wife to use when "bigfoot-hunting" with her group, or as it turned out, for me with my new-found camping friends. The basic sizing was based around using a traditional 48" x 96" plywood sheet for a base, and around a 38” x 75” twin-size mattress as the inner-cabin size. My wife is 5'4", and I'm 5'10.5", so there would be enough space for either of us, or perhaps even both if that was to occur.
twin on trailer base,before extension.JPG

I placed the 3/4" thick walls on the top of the floor, which made the overall inside dimensions 46.5" x 95.25" (front wall on top of, rear hatch abutting/overhanging the floor), and the rear bulkhead was positioned at exactly 75.25" from the front wall, leaving 20" for the rear storage/galley compartment). When I was trying different mattress and bedding configurations later on, after each trip, I found that it took both my wife and myself to reach in from both sides to change bedding, so perhaps I should've left a longer space for the mattress, and reduced the galley space a bit. I eventually ditched the mattress and bedding altogether, going to a 75"L x 39"W x 4"Th quad-fold mattress (with durable cover, folds up enogh to fit thru the door) in conjunction with two king-sized pillows and my choice of summer or winter-weight sleeping bag (both are taken on every trip, since Texas weather is so unpredictable).
folding mattress.jpg

I put shelving on each end of the cabin space, 22" above either my head or feet https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72529&hilit=+rear+shelf#p1260917, so there's no problem with contact. Actually, since I often have leg/foot cramps at night, especially in hot weather, having my feet so close to the wall (front wall, since my sleeping position is head towards the rear) gives me something to press against, to relieve the cramps. YMMV

My trailer is built to address my needs, function over form, so I'm happy with it (now), though I thought I had worked-out in advance before building, every problem that might arise while camping, I've been constantly modifying the trailer after every trip (not the last one, I'm finally satisfied with it) for 10 years (12 years total build + camping time). GL to you on your build!

Workingonit, thanks for sharing. Bigfoot hunting? I've been thinking about that but wouldn't know what to do if i ever saw one. :NC Your mattress is 75" and you're 5'10.5"? you sleep comfortably on your back, plenty of room? or are you a side sleeper? I've been looking at those folding mattresses and trying to figure out my bed dimensions, looks like you found your fit. I have to remind myself that its more important to be comfortable in my trailer than the form. If I'm not comfortable then why bother using it? I've been adjusting along the way as I build, even though I do have my layout planned already. I've also done some changes to the design depending on something that I've seen and liked. Its ever changing, but I do have to remember the practicality and the purpose of the build.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:35 am

23Sojourney45 wrote:...Workingonit, thanks for sharing.
  • 1) Bigfoot hunting? I've been thinking about that but wouldn't know what to do if i ever saw one. :NC

• 2) Your mattress is 75" and you're 5'10.5"? you sleep comfortably on your back, plenty of room? or are you a side sleeper? I've been looking at those folding mattresses and trying to figure out my bed dimensions, looks like you found your fit.

• 3) I have to remind myself that its more important to be comfortable in my trailer than the form. If I'm not comfortable then why bother using it?

• 4) I've been adjusting along the way as I build, even though I do have my layout planned already. I've also done some changes to the design depending on something that I've seen and liked. Its ever changing, but I do have to remember the practicality and the purpose of the build.

response:
  • 1) My wife would go with her (mainly women of her age) BFRO group, to sites in Texas, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia (very near to Langley...did she really think they'd be close to the CIA reservation? hahaha) and other spots. All were camping in tents, basically unprepared for the weather (she'd return from a trip, with a cold, and the inside of her tent, with a sewn-in floor, would be a sea of mud). The 4x8 trailer was meant to keep her safe ...3/4" plywood construction, break-in proof? doors & rear hatch (triple hinged, double locked on the outside, and with a drop-bar lock on the main-use door), and the side windows were placed high, making it hard for an outside malefactor to reach in. A machete was included in the interior, too. I prefer my .44, though, for close encounters.

• 2) My wife is 5'4", and sleeps on back & sides, legs never nearing the wall, while I toss & turn due to bad knees, back, and sciatica in both legs, mainly sleeping on my side. I utilize the short distance to the front wall is (where my feet go) to press against when leg cramps occur. The oversize king pillows and extra sleeping bag (rolled-up) help me elevate both head and feet if needed.

• 3) The narrow, short mattress makes me as comfortable as I ever get, even on my high-dollar mattress at home. But lately, other health issues make me uncomfortable in other ways, so I haven't camped in awhile. One other design consideration: make your door entry/exit easy to use...my design worked before my body started falling apart (started building it at 61, camping at 63, but now at 73, I need an assist handle overhead to get up and out, and the third shelf inside (overhead between the doors) makes bending a necessity (I still hit my head sometimes, getting out). Think way ahead when designing!

• 4) As I stated, I have modified most everything over the last ten years, until I finally felt it was right for me, but my health says not! sometimes. Now, I'll probably need to start modifying/adding-to/subtracting-from it again, if I determine that I won't be using the trailer anymore, and need to de-personalize it for sale. Or if I give it to my grandnephews, then the rear bulkhead needs to come out, the rear hatch needs to become a third door, the A/C needs to be mounted in the revised rear hatch/door, and the generator needs to be removed from the galley (now removed, too) and made portable again. Just like when I traded my Chevelle drag car for the X5 project car, I will not get even half (or anything) back compared to what was invested in it, But, like the Chevelle/X5 swap, at least I'll know that my handiwork will live on, even if in a different configuration.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:37 pm

Workingonit, I would head up north since I'm in the west coast to do some BF hunting, that's IF i end up getting the courage to do it then we shall see if I venture further out. Your wife and crew are brave. Totally glad you made a safe haven for her to be in while on the hunt because mud is not our friend. Also, love the extra security with the lock, will be following your path on that one for us as well, at least in theory for now. Again, everything is already drawn out but my mind likes to tinker and change things.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the health issues, hopefully you recover quickly or at least get alleviated at some point. We camp all the time and love it, this will be the first using a mattress. I've been on tnttt reading journals/forums and have taken away the fact that the inside cabin is the most important because its the sleep area. If we can't sleep properly and everything is already built, then its a shame. You seem to have the hang out it especially with your health issues. With mine, the walls will be up this week or the next depending on scheduling and the bulkhead attached.
You're not the first that I've read about with consideration to the future, great advice especially since age will be a factor. Mine is going to be as simple as it gets with considerations to future attachments if needed. My walls are skeletoned out making sure that I have something for the future to attached something to for whatever reason i.e. handles and what not. I've read on here to make my doors low so that I don't hit it while getting on the mattress to get inside, so basically lower than a mattress.
Hopefully you still get to use your trailer for years to come even if you haven't used it recently. But, like you said, at least you will pass it on to another community member which is great.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques