Mattress fit/removal

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Mattress fit/removal

Postby dardack » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:33 pm

My wife needs a legit mattress. I'm probably going to buy the memory foam we found that works in our bed. 60x80 firm (the opposite side is soft, like half and half?) and 10.5". Few things, since I'm designing, I know standard is 48" high with a 6-8" mattress, should I go 50" high or 2.5" not a big deal? Also many builds I've seen have 58ishx78ish mattress location (5' wide, minus walls, w/e length minus galley/front storage). Do y'all find custom size mattresses? If you put an actual mattress in, queen, you ever able to get it out? Since I'm building my own trailer, I can go 62" instead of 60, for a full 60" inside, I think anyways, at least the axle is custom and the tubing is custom, don't think it'll affect towing too much. I know with the 78" length any plans I can just reduce front or galley or add 2". Appreciate any thoughts.
dardack
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mattress fit/removal

Postby twisted lines » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:09 pm

I got mine buying a new one! :lol:
Hand me down 9" Memory Foam King, cut to 59" as soon as I put the mattress in I needed to add 10 PSI to the tires,
From the 20 had been running to 30 its heavy.
As for moving it, Very Difficult with a large back opening built for it.
It killed the Head board / Foot, Leg room / Galley :thinking:

Going from 5' x 10' ; closer to 15 :NC
Very slowly again.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:29 pm

getting your mattress in n out is quite easy if you make the lower section of your kitchen bolt on during construction

then you can slide the lower cabinets out for mattress installation n changes

welding the nuts in the frame during fabrication makes it even easier

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:59 pm

since I'm designing, I know standard is 48" high with a 6-8" mattress, should I go 50" high or 2.5" not a big deal?

With an 8" mattress in a 48" tall cabin, you'll still have more headroom than in your car.

I buy our mattresses from the Foam Factory. 5" of medium-density foam, and 3" of memory foam bonded to the top (and the cover). They are dreamy. You'll not find a better mattress. They come vacuum bagged, so they are easy to get in, but we've had it out and back in without the vacuum. You just need to put some cargo straps around it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dardack » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:07 am

tony.latham wrote:
since I'm designing, I know standard is 48" high with a 6-8" mattress, should I go 50" high or 2.5" not a big deal?

With an 8" mattress in a 48" tall cabin, you'll still have more headroom than in your car.

I buy our mattresses from the Foam Factory. 5" of medium-density foam, and 3" of memory foam bonded to the top (and the cover). They are dreamy. You'll not find a better mattress. They come vacuum bagged, so they are easy to get in, but we've had it out and back in without the vacuum. You just need to put some cargo straps around it.

Tony

Do you buy queen or Full XL? I just know your design was 5x10, so minus walls and galley/headboard it's less than 60x80. Wanted to know how it fits and stuff.
dardack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:53 am

Do you buy queen or Full XL? I just know your design was 5x10, so minus walls and galley/headboard it's less than 60x80. Wanted to know how it fits and stuff.

A queen. It fits fine inside our 58" interior. Heck, it's foam. :applause:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques