insulate or not

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

insulate or not

Postby Brankulo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:41 pm

looking for input weather or not to insulate. sort of leaning towards insulated version but not sure how much difference will, say 1" foam make. my wall assembly will most likely be 3/4" ply, 1" foam/framing layer, 1/4" ply or some other thin interior finish layer. might do 1.5" foam for roof.
Brankulo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: insulate or not

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:05 pm

My first teardrop was commercially built by Hunter in north Idaho. It had solid plywood walls, and an insulated roof. On frosty nights, the condensation on the inside of the walls was... bad. We kept a towel inside to wipe them off in the morning.

I built my first teardrop in 2009 and went with 3/4" insulated walls 2" in the ceiling. And just like that, it was the end of condensation. We' get some on the windows, but that's it. When I built my last, I went the same way since it works.

3/4" foam board in the walls is fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:06 am

You'll never regret insulating. Sooner or later you will regret not insulating.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Onajourney » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:57 am

I totally agree with PMullen. I have all my walls ,roof, and floor insulated with 1" foam insulation board. I never have any condensation. We camped this weekend in 40 degree temps with the windows cracked 2 inches, with the Maxxfan on 20%, with a 500 watt heater. Cabin was 70 degrees when we got up at 6. No way I could that without insulation not to mention how quite it is inside. No brainer.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Onajourney » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:58 am

I totally agree with PMullen. I have all my walls ,roof, and floor insulated with 1" foam insulation board. I never have any condensation. We camped this weekend in 40 degree temps with the windows cracked 2 inches, with the Maxxfan on 20%, with a 500 watt heater. Cabin was 70 degrees when we got up at 6. It was not cold enough to use the diesel heater and we had electrical hookup. No way I could that without insulation not to mention how quite it is inside. No brainer.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:49 pm

Insulate. You won't regret it. I can't imagine camping in a shell of a teardrop....terrible. You might as well be in a tent.
I put in 3/4" Styrofoam in the top, bottom, and sides and have comfortably slept in my camper at 28 degrees, no heater. Note that I have a 7' high ceiling, too!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:56 pm

The first TD I built I insulated the walls and roof, no condensation problems.
It was too heavy for my liking so the proceeding five I only insulated the roof, no condensation issues.
No matter what weather conditions we crack the 2 windows and have a vent that comes from the galley.
I have a vent on each exterior wall on the galley.
In my opinion it's a waste of time and materials to insulate the walls.
We live in the Pacific northwest and don't camp in the snow.
Do as you wish, :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:24 pm

Just to be clear, you aren't planning to use 3/4 ply for your outer skin, backed by 3/4 foam and 1/4 inner ply, are you?

3/4 outer skin would be excessive for a built-up wall.

Most use 1/4 outer, 3/4 core (stick built, or plywood "skeleton" like Tony shows in his pic) and 1/4 inch inner. Some like even thinner skins, down to 1/8 thk, especially if being covered by aluminum outer.

1-1/2 thk foam in the ceiling just makes sense because it is conveniently the same thickness as 1x2 dimensional spars placed on edge (3/4 x 1-1/2 actual size). IMO, especially if you plan on camping at higher elevations, or in very cold conditions this is the way to go. Probably the best choice overall, regardless.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques