Concession stand door

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Concession stand door

Postby BeaAve » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:28 am

I'm planning to build a concession stand-like door that lifts up on the passenger's side of my camper. My only real concern stems from why no one uses them. Is it a damage or leakage thing? I've already addressed the small annoyances in my design that will likely come about. If damage is the primary reason, I'd like to address or scratch it before I commit. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
BeaAve
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Concession stand door

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:12 pm

My only real concern stems from why no one uses them

If you are talking about gull wing doors, they work fine on spendy autos since the hinge is near the center of the roof. For a camper, they'd be a head knocker. You'd have to stoop to get below them and the same getting out. Side-opening doors have worked with teardrops for eighty years.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby BeaAve » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:49 am

I appreciate your response, Tony, but we are all here to design our little piece of heaven. That said, pretend my concession stand door is a heavy concession stand window. Do I need to worry about the window being ripped off during transport because the hinge will be on the top or, if leakage will be an issue, how do I account for that? I am sincerely looking for advice about preventing damage.
BeaAve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:10 am

I appreciate your response, Tony, but ...

You're asking why no one uses them. And thus I gave you the answer: They are head knockers. There was a teardrop company--I don't recall their name--that used them and they went out of business. There was someone on the DIY Facebook page that built a teardrop with them and they said they wouldn't do it again.

You asked, I answered. As far as seals, you could use the same system I used, you can find it in my build log. The link is at the bottom of this repsonse.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:18 pm

if you are referring to "Gull Wing" lift up doors, do a search on the site for "Easter Egg". The builder used this type of configuration for their doors.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 am

BeaAve wrote:I appreciate your response, Tony, but we are all here to design our little piece of heaven. That said, pretend my concession stand door is a heavy concession stand window. Do I need to worry about the window being ripped off during transport because the hinge will be on the top or, if leakage will be an issue, how do I account for that? I am sincerely looking for advice about preventing damage.

The answer is if it's installed and latched properly it's safe.

I think as long as the door opens enough, maybe 150 degrees, you should be able to get in and out of your TD without too much trouble. Opening and closing it from inside might be a challenge.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques