Ply or Build Layer Construction?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Ply or Build Layer Construction?

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:30 am

I have been reading all the posts about different building techniques for the side walls. I know there is a lot of good info out there on this forum. But... I am now a bit confused about the advantages/disadvantages between plywood walls and built up walls.

Could someone post a side by side comparision of general advantages of each: weight, ease of construction, properties, required planning, cost etc?

Thanks

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby BufordT » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:54 am

Dee,

You need Rik to get with you on this.

However, the original tears had no insulation at all and from what I understand they had problems with moisture forming while you slept.

Lots of people now insulate the walls and the ceiling. I for one see no purpose in insulating the walls. You have to leave the windows cracked anyway. The ceiling on the other hand I insulated in my mini-hopper and have no problems with mositure in the tear at all. I think this is just a matter of what you feel is right for you.

Others will disagree with me.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Re: Ply or Build Layer Construction?

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:12 am

Dee Bee wrote:I have been reading all the posts about different building techniques for the side walls. I know there is a lot of good info out there on this forum. But... I am now a bit confused about the advantages/disadvantages between plywood walls and built up walls.

Could someone post a side by side comparision of general advantages of each: weight, ease of construction, properties, required planning, cost etc?

Thanks

DEE

Dee,

Built up walls take longer to build. Are they worth it? Depends on where and when you camp. If you're camping in the winter, you'll probably want insulated walls and roof. It helps keep heat in and the cold out!

The other reason to consider insulation is condensation. If it's cold outside, and warm inside, condensation can form on the inside walls. Using insulation can minimize or eliminate condensation.

So the question really is, are you a summer camper or a 4 seasons camper?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby shil » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:23 pm

I've never seen condensation form on the inside of a wooden wall. Inside window glass, or on the inside of a metal door frame, sure. Never on a plywood wall.

Last spring we had three goons sleeping inside an 8' x 10' uninsulated plywood hut for a month (another story). We often had frost on the windows, nothing on the walls.

Whatever the R-Value of a plywood wall, it's got to be a million times that of a tent...
shil
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:13 pm

Shil was that a heated or unheated hut?

FWIW, read the message from MacMedic in this thread, 3rd message down!!!

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ation#3257

I think he confirms what you said... most of the condensation is on the windows but the walls mostly don't.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby shil » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:20 pm

Mike,

The hut had no heater as such, however, we had a giant Coleman two-mantle lantern which warmed things up quick enough. Mostly, three fat guys in a small room kept things warm.

If it sounds gross, well, it was.
shil
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:04 pm

Yea, that makes sense... any time there is a heat source, even just a colemen lantern, it tends to dry out the moisture from your breath, which results in less condensation. No wonder you never saw any on the plywood walls!

:wink:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques