Yoter Toter? Anyone have one?

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Just a Thing

Postby spyderhead » Fri May 12, 2006 6:45 am

Listen, these are really good, very well built teardrops. They cost roughly half what a comparable Hunter costs. The sales people in Canton are honest and straightforward; the builder is concerned and is investigating the problem.
When I initially posted the note about the problem with the smell, I had no idea this would "take off" like it has. The LAST thing I would want to do is to cause such an issue that people would consider not buying a Pleasant Valley teardrop from the dealership in North Canton, OH. I am sure this issue can be resolved as soon as the manufacturer figures out exactly what is causing the smell. I am just logical enough to know that most problems have actual solutions; just have to find it. ;)
spyderhead
Silver Donating Member

Re: Just a Thing

Postby kirtsjc » Fri May 12, 2006 7:02 am

spyderhead wrote: I am just logical enough to know that most problems have actual solutions; just have to find it. ;)

They being Amish, I am wondering to myself if they are using traditional "Horse Hoof" glues... Large amounts of that glue base can have a very objectionable organic odour....

Wondering if they can switch to a latex base and smell what happens....

(used to do IT support in a glue factory, and MAN, when they did their run of Mule and Hoof glues, it was RANK RANK RANK!!!!)
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

smell

Postby kneedeep » Mon May 15, 2006 6:34 pm

just reading the posts!! and mine also has a smell but isn't real strong, I figured it was the Berch interior lol I have never smelled berch before, so figured thats what it was! maybe it is rotten horse glue :roll: But I did have an other problem with mine concerning water, While traveling in a rain storm for 5 hours I had water leakage around the doors or the windows, not sure where it was comming in at. Either from underneath the door or window, my matress was wet on both sides not real bad but enough that it bothered me.
Will have to say when it was sitting in the rain while camping it didn't leak a drop anywhere, only while driving from road wash.
:oops:
Kneedeep
kneedeep
Teardrop Inspector

smell

Postby kneedeep » Mon May 15, 2006 7:32 pm

Please keep me posted on the smell and if Keith finds anything else about it. My wife told me she called them about the water leakage I had and that was the first heard of it, so he is also checking with the builder on that issue and is to get back to my wife on that. My wife just told me she called them today about it and figured she knew I wouldnt call so she did lol Will say when I first got it the smell was really strong its still there but not near as bad as it was. I lemon oiled all the wood on the inside and it sits in my garage and my wife and I are smokers and dont smoke in the house, we smoke it the garage so maybe lemon oil and a couple cartons of cigerette smoke helped :roll:
Kneedeep
kneedeep
Teardrop Inspector

Simple Green

Postby spyderhead » Tue May 23, 2006 8:28 am

The builder of the Yoder Toter Pleasant Valley teardrops has solved the problem of the smell: Simple Green. I just did as he said and wiped down the interior wood with a 1:1 solution of Simple Green and water and the smell is gone. It had something to do with too much catalyst in something or another. At any rate, the odor is gone and is staying gone. Great! :thumbsup:
spyderhead
Silver Donating Member

Re: Simple Green

Postby kirtsjc » Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 am

spyderhead wrote:The builder of the Yoder Toter Pleasant Valley teardrops has solved the problem of the smell: Simple Green. I just did as he said and wiped down the interior wood with a 1:1 solution of Simple Green and water and the smell is gone. It had something to do with too much catalyst in something or another. At any rate, the odor is gone and is staying gone. Great! :thumbsup:

Oh good, they did not use hoof glue! :shock:

That stuff is RANK RANK RANK!!!!!

(used to do computer support in a glue factory...) :?
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby clkelley564 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Hi!

I'm new here.
I too have been really reading everything I can about tear drops since I saw the Travel Channel show.

I'm gravitating towards the more modern ones, but really don't like the Little Guy cause of the way the kitchen was made.

I had almost decided the High Desert Designs was going to be the one I wanted, but the 2000 mile drive to pick it up kind of threw me off.

I've just been looking at Yoder Toter's latest ebay listings. I REALLY like the white one. The rims match my truck, and it looks really cool. This place is a lot closer than Oregon for me.

Where is this guy's RV place located in OH. Anybody got a street address??

From reading this thread, it looks like you have to order one, not just visit the lot and drive one home??

Looking at the pictures it's hard to tell the clearance under the kitchen shelf. Will a mini fridge or one of those Coleman Dual Power Cooler fit upright under there?

Also, could the white one be painted on the exterior?? I would love to have it painted to match my Sport Trac.

Thanks,

Carol
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203
clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby sid » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:17 pm

Pleasant Valley Trailer
5640 Whipple Ave
North Canton, OH

Call Keith Horton at 330-268-5419.

He may have some 06's left you can get a deal on. The 07's are out and they are about $1,000 higher. We have a 5x8 Silver Shadow and we like it a lot. I don't know where you are in Alabama, but we will be at Guntersville State Park 22-24 Sep. Come by and see us.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby clkelley564 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:25 pm

I would love to, but I'm already going camping canoeing/kayaking this weekend.

I'm in Huntsville/Madison area.

Me and hubby might make a day trip of it on Saturday though!

Thanks for the invite!

Carol
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741

clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby sid » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:35 pm

Sounds great. We will have our kayaks too, so if we're not in camp, we'll be on the water. Will be in a white jeep cherokee. You're welcome to join us.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

New member with yoder toter

Postby Big Richard » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:39 pm

Late last winter my wife and I went to N. Canton to "look" at their line of Little Guy line of trailers. I was going to go the DIY method, and a first hand look would help. My wife who knows how long it takes me with projects thought we should buy a Silver Shadow Phantom 5x10. We came home with one. Solved the smell with a PineSol wipe down of the interior. Replaced the Chinese tires. It was great on our trip to WI,MN,SD,WY,CO,NE,IA. Over the Rocky Mtn Trail Ridge with 03 Impala 3.4 liter.
We love it!
Big Richard
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mrainey » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:44 am

We've had our Silver Shadow for a month or two now, absolutely nothing to complain about. No smells, no leaks.

The only glitch we ran into was the need to come up with a cable to adapt the round electrical connector on the Yoder to the four-pin flat connector that comes with our Toyota Highlander. Our local RV shop had one for seventeen bucks.

The Little Guy dealership is a busy place - teardrops EVERYWHERE. The entire staff was outstanding.

We love the trailer.
mrainey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby clkelley564 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:43 am

mrainey wrote:
The only glitch we ran into was the need to come up with a cable to adapt the round electrical connector on the Yoder to the four-pin flat connector that comes with our Toyota Highlander. Our local RV shop had one for seventeen bucks.

Wal-Mart also carries those adapters. I think they are less than $10 there.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741

clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby mrainey » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:30 am

Wal-Mart also carries those adapters. I think they are less than $10 there.

The ones I found at Wal-Mart, U-Haul, Toyota, Trailer Supply, and Auto Zone (whew!) were all the wrong gender on the four-pin side.

Here's what worked for me:

mrainey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:23 am

deleted
Last edited by Mukilteo on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers