New Teardrop Hits the Market

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Postby madjack » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:44 am

Greg, I haven't checked So-Cal lately so really can't say...the reasons you gave for not going into business are pretty much why may build partner and I finally passed on the idea...starting a new business in this day is a daunting task and I certainly offer them all the luck in their endeavour........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

And we bought it!

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:57 pm

My wife and I are the ones that bought this one. The reason I did not build one my self is that they did what I would have, aluminum frame layout etc. I can say I was instantly impressed with the quality and attention to detail and I come from a quality control background. This is totally unsolicited as Eric did not know we were part of the group, lost ID so had to create a new one. http://tnttt.com/album_personal.php [/url]
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby deserthawk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:46 am

I like the various add-on features and the fit and finish of the interior. Overall this mini trailer is WAY TOO HEAVY for its size especially since the frame is aluminum. There is too much emphasis on heavy wooded parts. When designing a small camper, one never should lose the original vision of purpose i.e. light weight and convenience. And the secondary purpose of creating pleasing visual lines also cannot be ignored. When these two purposes meld into a single trailer design then it becomes a classic. This trailer is a good starting point but it needs a lot of slimming down before it can be considered as more than a shorter version of a modern travel trailer. A good example of one of these newer offerings is the Eco http://www.eco-rv.com/ This trailer is in a similar weight category but has a full bathroom and shower. It is also in the same price category.

In the 21st Century,we have at our disposal modern featherweight materials and new technologies. With a little immagination we can create anything! :thinking:

Disclaimer: This is just my two cents worth ;)
NEW - ITG Photos 2009
http://www.emuranch.com/ft/itg/galleryitg.cfm

IRG Photos 2008 http://www.emuranch.com/ft/irg/galleryirg.cfm

"It's not where you are that counts....It's where you're at." Full Time Teardroper 810 Continuous Days living out of my TD as of 8/15/2010
deserthawk
Teardrop Master

Maiden Voyage

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:08 am

I would be willing to bet the use of some what heavier solid wood adds forty or fifty pounds of very solid cabinetry to over all weight, but having just completed our first camping experience the camper does not sacrifice much.
The weight is more than a thousand pounds lighter than any of the Eco-rv offerings so hardly in the same category. Many/most of the tears of this size tip the scale at more weight. The little Guy 5 wide tips the scale at 900lbs and is a lot smaller and has nothing in the way of galley propane stove, water tank, hot water...
the Silver Shadow 5wide tips the scale at 30lbs more that the Mega and again only has cabinets. The Camp Inn Models are hundreds of pounds heavier with less features and less space inside.
Ours tip's the scale at 1150Lbs dry, I loaded the water tank as Water quality is iffy at the park and I do not yet have a filter and that added 117 lbs. My wife loved having hot water to wash dishes, the space, windows that open a radio to listen to classical (we did not try the TV) queen size mattress...
Yes there are things that need fixing and alteration but they are very minor.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Eco Information

Postby Tesman81 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:09 am

Deserthawk:

I did some investigating on the Dutchmen Eco travel trailer you were refering to in your post. Here is what I found in their specifications section: models start out in lenght at 14'8" and weigh in with a UVW of 2407 lbs and a GVWR of 3450 lbs. They top out at 26'3" and weigh in at 4168 lbs for their UVW and have a GVWR of 5600 lbs. (Information was taken from Eco Website http://www.eco-rv.com/trailers.php?tab=specs)
www.mega-minis.webs.com

Change your opinions, keep to your principles; change your leaves, keep intact your roots.
~Victor Hugo
Tesman81
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers