Three Feathers - LaGrande, OR

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Three Feathers - LaGrande, OR

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:03 am

I have been seeing Teardrops from time to time hitting Craig's list. There website is located here: http://www.threefeathersmfg.com/. Has anyone seen one of their trailers in person or even own one?
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby FireLion » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:44 am

I haven't seen 'em before. But, I do like the Backpacker trailer. Wonder what kinda $$$ we're lookin at? :thinking:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby hiker chick » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:06 pm

That Backpacker is intriguing.

A giant chuckbox and bed.

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NW_Subie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:54 pm

Never seen one in person. Dealer in Pendleton, Oregon has a Pinecone for sale.
http://eastoregon.craigslist.org/rvs/1275422566.html

Basic used one listed in Stayton, Oregon.
http://salem.craigslist.org/rvs/1264719358.html
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby NW_Subie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 am

FireLion wrote:I haven't seen 'em before. But, I do like the Backpacker trailer. Wonder what kinda $$$ we're lookin at? :thinking:

Manufacturer says Backpacker trailer for sale at local dealer is $5145. Here's one for sale in Olympia, WA for $5599.
http://www.trailertownonline.com/trailers.php?i=270

NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Re: Three Feathers - LaGrande, OR

Postby NW_Subie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:46 am

dreadcptflint wrote:I have been seeing Teardrops from time to time hitting Craig's list. There website is located here: http://www.threefeathersmfg.com/. Has anyone seen one of their trailers in person or even own one?

Looked at one today in Pendleton, OR on the way back from camping. Dealer had a Pinecone. Okay, but not that impressive. Flimsy drawer handles and some of the trim looked misaligned. No hurricane hinge. Did not have a Backpacker model in stock. For mass produced, I still prefer Little Guy.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby DaveWeinstein » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Has anyone got any experience with newer models?

We looked at a new Pinecone this past week, and we found it a lot more comfortable than a Little Guy. The cabin felt roomier, and the doors were a lot easier to get in and out of.

Thanks,
--Dave
DaveWeinstein
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dexstrom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 pm

DaveWeinstein wrote:Has anyone got any experience with newer models?

We looked at a new Pinecone this past week, and we found it a lot more comfortable than a Little Guy. The cabin felt roomier, and the doors were a lot easier to get in and out of.

Thanks,
--Dave

I don't have experience with the Pinecone, we bought the Backpacker II model last summer and really enjoy it. It is well built, and with a few mods it fits our camping style. We replaced the bulbs with LEDs for reduced amp draw, moved the battery to rear under the sink so I could mount a double bike rack on the A-frame and have a Add-a-Room for extra space out of the wind and bugs.
dexstrom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dirtyfootcamper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:39 pm

NW_Subie wrote:
dreadcptflint wrote:I have been seeing Teardrops from time to time hitting Craig's list. There website is located here: http://www.threefeathersmfg.com/. Has anyone seen one of their trailers in person or even own one?

Looked at one today in Pendleton, OR on the way back from camping. Dealer had a Pinecone. Okay, but not that impressive. Flimsy drawer handles and some of the trim looked misaligned. No hurricane hinge. Did not have a Backpacker model in stock. For mass produced, I still prefer Little Guy.

I bought a Pinecone in the winter of 2012 and enjoyed it a number of times last year and can't wait for this spring/summer season. My model does have a hurricane hinge (see my pictures) I do feel the sleeping area is a bit more roomy and easier to get in and out of than the Little Guys I had looked at and not as pricey. Although it may not be the most impressive Teardrop out there, I got it for a great deal. I wasn't looking to spend a fortune and have the top of the line trailer out there anyways. Even with the few issues I've had to deal with, I'm still pleased with it. After purchasing it I noticed a small leak in the galley area and contacted the manufacturer. He sent a new/better seal, as well as a snap on cover for the hatch area, to the trailer place I bought it from. They installed the new hatch seal, the new cover, and also sealed up the hatch handles with some sealant. I have not noticed any more leaks since then, but have kept an out for them. I have added a number of modifications to suit my needs and have plans for more.
Dirtyfootcamper
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaveWeinstein » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:28 pm

We've pretty much settled on the Backpacker II. We looked at one again today to come up with the list of things to ask for in the order.
DaveWeinstein
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dexstrom » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:39 pm

We also added a gas strut to the door so it would stay open until we want to close it. The mini-blinds on the door window were getting caught in the door, the little plastic pins that are supposed to hold the blinds against the door broke after only a couple of door openings. I trimmed the lower slats below the handle and that helped avoid catching them in the door when closing it.
dexstrom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Colin_R6 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 am

I bought a backpacker 2XT last year and have used it quite a number of times now. No stays longer than 4 days so far - which seems normal for me. Might do some more this summer, we'll see!

I am pretty happy with the unit, overall I like it quite a bit, there are a few things that have not sat well with me though. Before I get to them let me remind you that I am happy with the unit. This is a highly critical review.

1) Fit and Finish. My unit has somewhat of a "rushed" feel to it. Two of the cupboard doors (one in the galley, one in the cabin) are mounted crooked. Obviously crooked... like it wasn't even eyeballed to see if it was leveled before the hinges were screwed in.

2) Upon delivery, it still had quite a bit of sawdust and drill cuttings throughout. It wasn't cleaned or vacuumed at all.

3) Inside of the drawers in the galley were un-stained pine. Just ready for a dirt and moisture invasion. Ended up staining and varnishing these myself.

4) The ordering process was a bit screwy for me. Refer back to #1 for that "rushed" feel. I requested a little screened door be installed above the countertop to access the cabin (pass a coffee or breakfast through etc) and it was agreed to in the emails.. but forgotten during construction. The answer to my complaint was "bring it back and we'll install it for you".... except i'm now 12 hours away in a different country - thanks but i'll make do without it I guess.

5) To add to the ordering process, I specifically requested no roof rack. Its way too bloody high to be loading stuff on the roof, unless you pack an 8' ladder with you everywhere. You can't stand on the wheel wells, they are thin aluminum. I suppose i'll use it to attach a canopy to one day - until then its just extra wind drag. Honestly, if I hadn't already driven the 10 hours to get to Seattle.. this would have been enough for me to turn away from this unit and come back in 3 months when one was built to a spec I wanted. Anyway, i'll make do.

6) The Side boxes that are behind the wheel wells.. online the pictures all depict them as aluminum diamond plate. Mine are plastic.

7) The Pictures of the galley online depict a spice/towel rack and a table mounted on the inside of the door. Mine had nothing on the inside of the door. I was informed that the door supplier changed to one with insulated doors with no way of mounting anything to the inside of them.

8] The trailer tongue could use about another 6-12 inches of length. Very easy to jack knife this trailer. I had a welder buddy cut the corners off of the cargo basket and re-weld it back together to gain some turning radius.

9) There is a board above the cupboards in the galley that blocks a significant space above the cupboards that could be used for more storage. I'll take it apart one day and saw it down to something more reasonable.

10) Back to that Rushed feel again... the main door won't lock.. ever... unless I lift the door up about 1/32nd of an inch. On level ground. With no frame twisting etc. Mounting issue? Who knows, i'll use my Dremel to hone a bit of metal away one day when it annoys me enough. Haven't gotten there yet.

11) Interior bulbs were not LED. All of the outside marker and signal lights are LED and look really professional... 5 minutes on amazon and I bought several LED bulbs for less than $5 to replace the filament ones. (I was told that sourcing these was difficult)

12) With the bed fully pulled out there is about 4 inches of space between it and the wall. Another 12 inches of width on this trailer would really shine in the cabin. Suspect I will mod the bed a bit to pull out to about 4" shorter than what it does, just so I have enough room to at least swing my feet off the bed and put shoes on before I dismount the trailer!

13) I was told there would be a little "surprise" included with my trailer since I was very patient (ordered a unit in Feb/March and was not complete until June, quoted a 6 week build period). I haven't found any surprises yet - maybe that was what the crooked doors were?

Things I like;
The cushions for the bed are comfy.
The suspension and axle pairing on these is VERY well chosen. Trailer floats down the road nicely.
Good airflow from the windows and the fan.
Lots of areas to stash bits and pieces of camping goodies.
Good solid Frame.
The bottom is sealed up really well, heavy gauge polyethylene liner installed.
The brakes work well on this unit, I am quite happy with them.
Happy with the overall finish, except for the few bugs listed above.
Good height and ground clearance.
The LT tires will probably never puncture.. the trailer is nice and light.
The exterior is really well constructed.
Hubs came with bearing buddies.

There. That is my very critical review of the Three Feathers MFG Backpacker 2XT.
I am happy with it.. there were just a few things that I would have done differently, had I been the man behind the hammer. This thing draws a lot of eyeballs. I might use it for another year or two and sell it - then mastermind my own cargo conversion with all the tidbits i'm learning.

Hope this helps a new buyer with purchasing their Backpacker.
Colin_R6
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Sat May 21, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi Colin
I have a couple of friends (both Tear Jerkers PNW Chapter Members) that have Pine Cones. :thumbsup:
Are you familiar with the Tear Jerkers? And would you be at all interested in becoming a member?
We would love to have you as a Chapter member of the B.C.Chapter or the PNW Chapter. :thinking:
I am the Chapter Director of both..........Please PM me.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers