PVC Teardrop build HELP!!!!

Teardrop shaped bicycle travel trailers & related information

PVC Teardrop build HELP!!!!

Postby the pvc bike guy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:25 pm

First, I work with PVC. My bikes are from old and discarded items (save the earth type thing). Not new pipe but old stuff people give me such as pipe and fittings. I don’t buy new everything. That’s is what I’m wanting to do with this trailer. :thinking:

1. Get the lay out right
2. All walls frames will be ¾ Sch 80
3. Trailer 1” Sch 80
4. Floor "paneling
5. How many fittings I need
6. Figure out were the PVC Fittings need to go
7. Were windows doors etc
8. Were the 20’ Bicycle wheels need to be placed
9. The length of the tongue for a bike to pull
10. Size 8 x 3 x 3
This is for starters and before you say anything, :MLAS yes I do know it is long and tall. However, it will be light or I’ll put an asst wheels on the trailer to push up the hills.

I drew some plans but can't seem to get them to post :frustrated: if you want to help just e-mail me and I'll send what I have. It isn't much but I know I can count on help from this forum. :beautiful: Wow at this min 32 people have looked and only one stated any thing. :cry:
Last edited by the pvc bike guy on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Smile all the time and thy will leave you alone.

More Bicycle Photos
http://push.pickensplan.com/photo/photo ... ulffolmhpk
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:54 pm

In a forum that is a place for creative thinking and the execution of ideas, you my friend are an original. Look forward to watching this manifest.

Post those :pictures:

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby xrover » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:52 pm

I built a small boat trailer out of pvc to facilitate moving my small sailboat in and out of the water. It's pretty solid stuff, and of course lightweight. I too am interested in seeing the build. Your bike looks like an engineering marvel. Remember to dry fit everything first!
:R
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby the pvc bike guy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:29 pm

xrover wrote:I built a small boat trailer out of pvc to facilitate moving my small sailboat in and out of the water. It's pretty solid stuff, and of course lightweight. I too am interested in seeing the build. Your bike looks like an engineering marvel. Remember to dry fit everything first!
:R

Can you send photos I rely do need Ideas. :poop:

More Bicycle Photos
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TopCat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Humm! PVC?

Sounds a bit on the weak side to me?

I have built a few trailers in the past months all made of WEAK materials? Wood - Angle Iron. The wheels tend to splay out when any weight is put on the trailer bed.

Regards
Tom
************My Other Trailers An Airstream************
French bicycle racer, Latourneau pulled an Airstream caravan in 1947 to demonstrate how light it was.
TopCat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby the pvc bike guy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:28 pm

TopCat wrote:Humm! PVC?

I have built a few trailers in the past months all made of WEAK materials? Wood - Angle Iron. The wheels tend to splay out when any weight is put on the trailer bed.

Regards
Tom

If you look at my bicycles non of them are doing what you are having problems with, all of my bicycles will hold up to 1103 pounds before the frames snap and or crack. if done right PVC is stronger in many different ways then wood. I only use PVC that people are throwing away if you have not looked at my album please do. O and thanks for the input :)

More Bicycle Photos
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:12 pm

This is a little bigger then I think you're looking for...but another member here built his full size tear out of PVC...

PVC TTT

Maybe an interesting read for you. :thumbsup:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:14 pm

the pvc bike guy wrote:

Regards
Tom

If you look at my bicycles non of them are doing what you are having problems with, all of my bicycles will hold up to 1103 pounds before the frames snap and or crack. if done right PVC is stronger in many different ways then wood. I only use PVC that people are throwing away if you have not looked at my album please do. O and thanks for the input :)

I have a question about your bikes. I've seen some kits on line that use some sort of metal pipe inside the PVC...do you do this or is it just the PVC?
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby the pvc bike guy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:
the pvc bike guy wrote:

Regards
Tom

I have a question about your bikes. I've seen some kits on line that use some sort of metal pipe inside the PVC...do you do this or is it just the PVC?

;) Triad secret :snappy: , but hay thanks for the info.:applause:

More Bicycle Photos
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:37 pm

So...you could tell me...but then you'd have to kill me? Is that it? :lol: 8)
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby TopCat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:57 am

Ivar the Red wrote:This is a little bigger then I think you're looking for...but another member here built his full size tear out of PVC...

PVC TTT

Maybe an interesting read for you. :thumbsup:

Nice build, but im wondering if towing a similar HIGH sided trailer with a bicycle would be a problem in windy conditions? Also (windy query) how would it hold up to strong winds once parked up?

Maybe The PVC Guy's Triad secret would come into play here :thinking:

Regards
Tom
French bicycle racer, Latourneau pulled an Airstream caravan in 1947 to demonstrate how light it was.
TopCat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Laredo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:40 pm

If you want it 36'' wide to haul behind a bicycle, how hard would it be to make a frame like you show in your avatar, and then cut down a piece of plywood to the proper width for a floor?

There's a set of PVC plans on the web for a lounger that shows this technique.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby the pvc bike guy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:26 pm

Laredo wrote:If you want it 36'' wide to haul behind a bicycle, how hard would it be to make a frame like you show in your avatar, and then cut down a piece of plywood to the proper width for a floor?

There's a set of PVC plans on the web for a lounger that shows this technique.

YA seen those But I really do won't a trailer built for a PVC Teardrop trailer as far as wind if you ride a bike How much trouble do you have in the wind :QM

More Bicycle Photos
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TopCat » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:11 am

Not quite a teardrop but maybe along the lines you/we are thinking of?

LINK:
http://highmileagetrikes.blogspot.com/index.html#5510366049285942968

Bike Teardrop Concept.

http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/2009/05/13/ultralight-teardrop-trailer-for-a-bicycle/

Regards
Tom
TopCat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby the pvc bike guy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:24 pm

TopCat wrote:Not quite a teardrop but maybe along the lines you/we are thinking of?

LINK:
http://highmileagetrikes.blogspot.com/index.html#5510366049285942968

Bike Teardrop Concept.

http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/2009/05/13/ultralight-teardrop-trailer-for-a-bicycle/

Regards
Tom

Ya I looked at the site Very Interesting this is what I found.

Ultralight Teardrop Trailer – For a Bicycle!
Posted May 13th, 2009 by Michael Janzen and filed in Concept
Tags: bicycle, bike teardrop trailer, bike trailer, Ultralight Teardrop Trailer, ultralight trailer
33 Comments

Well if you didn’t think I was crazy before… let me introduce you to the teardrop trailer for a bicycle. Don’t get too excited and whip out any credit cards this is just a crazy idea and I’m certain many bicycle enthusiasts will tell me a some very good reasons why this is just plain silly… but it was still fun to draw and day dream about.

The idea is simply to have a tiny habitable trailer that is lightweight and aerodynamic enough to be pulled by a bicycle. I found a few cargo bike trailers on the web but Logan at RowdyKittens pointed me toward a little company in Eugene Oregon called Human Powered Machines that makes some very stout bike trailers that can carry up to 500 pounds. Logan and Tammy at RowdyKittens have been living car-free for quite some time now.

To build such a trailer you’d need to start with a heavy duty custom bike trailer that is about 8-feet long and 3-feet wide. I’d then put down a floor and erect two curved side walls made from thin plywood (or OSB) and bond a sheet of polyunsaturate foam board to the outside. Then I’d cover the arch with more wood, build the doors and window, and finally cover the exterior with a thin layer of aluminum. Since the length is just under 8-feet and the height is 4-feet, each side wall could be cut from a standard 4′ by 8′ piece of material.
The interior is long enough for a 6-foot person to sleep and their feet would tuck under the kitchen area. There’s a little shelf or cabinet inside for personal items too. Around back the kitchen area would provide a place to store and prepare food. The rear hatch hinges up like most traditional teardrop trailers.

You could add a couple small solar panels on the roof but you’d probably want to spend the extra money and buy lightweight batteries. Lead acid batteries would probably become a real bummer after the first few miles.

Is this totally crazy? Could this work? How can you imagine using such a trailer? Image

This looks like a start :thinking: Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

More Bicycle Photos
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Bicycle Travel Trailers