Nano Teardrop

Teardrop shaped bicycle travel trailers & related information

Nano Teardrop

Postby Tayder » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:50 pm

In my Newbie introductory post, I reported that at my wife's request, I would be building a scale model Teardrop rather than a full scale trailer, but like many (most) plans, things changed. Following a number of monumental oopsies while renovating our mobile home this summer,I had arrived at the inescapable truth that at this stage of my life, I have no business tackling a project as complex as building a Teardrop trailer. I am the survivor of several strokes, brain surgery, heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery. These events caused brain injury and although the effects are (in many ways) minimal, I have been significant changes to me, such as the loss of many skills I possessed before I got sick.i could go on and on but I shall not. In the end it is enough for me to recognize that attempting to build a viable trailer just now is an unreasonable goal. But it has come to pass that I have recently (over the past weekend) come into possession of a well used"Ride n Stride bicycle trailer. I also own a new Burley kid hauling trailer which I don't use and which I paid a lot of money for (such that it would be foolish for me to dismantle it for re purposing.my wife and stepdaughter put their heads together and came up with the suggestion of building a Teardrop bike trailer and I've jumped all over that concept to the point of stripping the 'donor' trailer down to the frame as I gear up to begin construction. The tow vehicle will be my Ice Trike Sprint RS (recumbent Tadpole trike) which features a Bionx electric power assist (making my trike worth 5 X that of our family car.
I know already that my bike trailer will be entirely too small for use as a 'camper' and will be in reality more ornamental than anything else. As a hauler of stuff I have my Burley trailer which I don't use. - we live too far from local shopping for it to be of much use. My point is, the bike trailer will be a fun way to exercise my injured brain and to help satisfy my creative Urges. Because I possess plans purchased online, I do not anticipate many major hurdles along the way; at present I am reviewing the plans with a view towards miniaturizing the structure. The chassis at present seems to indicate that there is a space of 34 "X 30 "for the floor. I suspect that with a little ingenuity, I will stretch that to a length of about 48" and an overall height of 36". We shall see. I've tried to include a pic of where I'm at but that isn't working for me...
Bill
Tayder
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Nano Teardrop

Postby pchast » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Welcome Bill. :D

I'll be interested in what you do.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:40 am

See if this helps
viewtopic.php?p=911290#p911290

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 am

I built the dog house in a very short afternoon.......

the little motorcycle trailer took a couple days.....

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:48 am

Here is a very old post where we discussed how to lay out a pleasing curve. You can easily change the dimensions to what ever works for your design.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1 ... 75#p181475
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Bicycle Travel Trailers