Winner of the Out of Control Shop Contest

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Winner of the Out of Control Shop Contest

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:02 am

I'd like to personally thank Doug Hodder not only for coming up with the idea, but for puting up the prize money as well.
Take it away Doug...

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:49 am

Ta Daa.........There is a winner!!! Before I announce what I believe to be the winner of the shop contest, I would like to personally like to thank all contributors for their entrys. The whole purpose of the contest was to demonstrate that everyone works within the space they have to achieve the goals they have. It was just for fun. Hopefully everyone that viewed the thread got a good idea of what peoples interests are and what environment they have to achieve their goal. Being a boat builder, I get e-mails from guys in the Phillippines, UK, Australia, and Nigeria, and you know what?? We all pretty much have the same comments and problems. None of us have the $$ like Boyd Coddington, Norm Abrams, Orange County Choppers..., but we all get the same feelings of accomplishment when the project is finished and we get the congrats from the people that wish they had the ability and where with all to do it. Out of all the piles of junk and materials in our garages live our ideas. Anyway....enough of my BS.... The winner is Larwyn I spent a lot of time thinking about this one. This guy has all his tools out in the rain, and having used a tarp for a garage, I just felt he deserved it. I'm not too convinced that he is actually building a tear. I think it is just a cover for running a still. And if that is the case, I would appreciate a quart of "shine". Hopefully the gift certificate will go towards a new tarp and he can double the size of his shop! Again....Thanks again everyone for your participation and I really hope that everyone enjoyed the chance to view everyone elses projects and shops. Larwyn... please send me a personal message and let me know your address and whether you would like a gift certificate to Lowes, Home Depot, or a money order. Thanks again everyone :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Doug Hodder

Larwyn's Award Winning Out Of Control Shop
Last edited by doug hodder on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:05 am

Congratulations Larwyn!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
BTW- I got a kick out of that leather kilt of yours, now all you need is a set of bag pipes.

BTW- I read where you refered to your teardrop as an escape pod...
Why would you want to escape from the woods? (Your already there man)
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:19 am

Dean.... I don't think that it is appropriate to make fun of his genitalia :lol: besides, I'm a Scotsman too! Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Arne » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:59 am

When I see Larwyn's picture, it makes cable TV, my recliner and a bowl of pop corn seem mighty appealing.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:32 am

I too would like to thanks Doug for hosting this contest and putting up the prize money. That was very generous of you! And it's amazing how many out of control workshops there are!!!

Larwyn, congrats! You are out of control!!! :R Put the money to good use!!!

Oh yes, I too am wondering why you are trying to escape to the woods. Looks to me also, that you are already there!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby davel » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:36 am

:applause: :applause: Congratulations Larwyn! :applause: :applause:
davel
Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:09 am

I knew I had a prize winning shop....... :) :twisted:

How many people have even heard of adding on to an EZ-UP. But seriously, when the weather is nice I would prefer this shop over one with a hard roof and walls. Now a good flat dry floor might be an improvement at times.

Sorry no "shine" but my Killer Margaritas are famous amoung the Texas Renfaire crowd. If we ever meet up I'll fix you up with one.... :)

The kilt aint leather, just looks like it in the pic. Actually side by side with a pair of Carhart overalls you cannot tell the difference in the fabric of the kilt and the Carharts. It is the most comfortable work clothing I own, especially with all the stooping bending and stretching involved in building a teardrop.

You guys are right, I am already "there", but we do camp a lot and the Escape Pod, will allow us to escape the hassels of sleeping in a tent or towing the 5th wheel.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby JunkMan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:19 am

Thanks Doug, and congrats Larwyn!

It was fun seeing what other members shops look like. I don't feel so bad working in my disorganised and crowded shop, seeing that I am not alone. Every time I see a picture of one of those ultra sano shops, I wonder if any work ever gets done there. Of course, it would be nice to be a little more arganised, and have a little more room.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:51 am

Thanx Doug!! Nice shop, Larwyn. :o
I thought that mine was "deluxe" but...nice job!!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby purplepickup » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:49 pm

Congratulatins Larwyn, your shop is defintely a prize winner :thumbsup:
Now go spend that gift certificate and get back to work ;)

I know what you mean about preferring to work outside, listening to the birds sing with a nice breeze blowing. So do I, but here in Michigan if we had to wait for good weather to work on our projects we might not get a lot done. :snow It's supposed to snow again tonight....where is spring???

And thanks to Doug for your generosity and motivating some of the members here to post pictures of their shops. I really like looking at where other people spend their shop time.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Great contest Doug, thanks for your generosity :thumbsup: It was fun to see all the dfferences that we all put up with. way to go!

Larwyn , congrats man! :applause: :applause: I expected to see Barney Fife & some revenewers commin out the woods ! :lol: Enjoy the freedom!
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby David Grason » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:35 pm

Well, I thought my shop was pretty messy and I had cleaned it up right before this whole contest. I'd been kicking myself but now I see I didn't stand a chance anyway. Folks, we are in the presence of GREATNESS!!

:thumbsup: :applause:

Congrats Larwyn.

But I do have to say, I knew it wasn't any Tennessee still. Now it might have been a still in Texas, but not Tennessee. Why do you ask? Well, there aint no mule. You have to have a mule to run a still in Tennessee.

Now I know what you're thinking. Why do you have to have a mule to run a still. OK, this is not a joke. But all the moonshiners in Tennessee used to use a mule to pack the sugar and corn and such into the woods for the still. But then, after they arrived at the still and set to work, the mule kept the eye out for the revenuers. All the moonshiner had to do was watch the mule's ears. If a revenuer got within 2 miles of the place, the mule would hear him and point his ears in the direction of the revenuer. This is no joke. I never knew of a moonshiner that paid attention to his mule, ever getting caught.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:30 pm

David,
That's very interesting.
It seems that there should be a saying to go along with that. :thinking:

Postby asianflava » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:33 pm

When driving back from FL, I took 290 back home. When we were passing the the turn towards Plantersville, I told my wife about the Utili-Kilt. I told her that I don't want the "fellas" that close to power tools (not that a piece of fabric would stop a runaway saw). She got a kick out of it. Congrats on your award.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!