Design Library - we need your files...

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Design Library - we need your files...

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:09 am

As many of you know, the Design Library has gone missing, along with the creator, Angib.

I'd like to collect any files that anyone has from the Design Library, and try to recreate that page. I'll be putting the files, pdf, and dxf's on this page: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Design_Library.html

If you've downloaded any files from Andrew's Design Library, please upload them to this thread. I'll put your files on that page! Click on the Upload Attachment tab below...

Thanks,

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Design Library - we need your files...

Postby dogscats » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:25 am

This is what I get. Page cannot be displayed due to robots.txt. I don't know what this means. I HAD TO ADD A BUNCH OF SPAM & trackers FILTERS. have you try .It work before I added the tracker filters
https://web.archive.org/web/http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear00.htm
Last edited by dogscats on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby deleted » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:10 am

First of all I hope Angib (Andrew) is ok and all is well. That he's just busy or traveling where there is no wifi or cell service.

I was able to find a couple of "missing" pages and images this way:

1. Go to Google and search the name of the trailer model (someone asked about "The Wanderer" in another thread).

In this case I searched the words: angib, tear59, wanderer

2. When the Google results came up I clicked on the tiny, solid, downward arrow to the right of the url. Not on the "link."

3. The arrow displays the cached version of the page. I mentioned yesterday people might want to do this asap before the Google bots realize the site is gone. Then the cached version will come up blank.

By doing this I was able to retrieve from the "All" and "Image" categories. Unfortunately the images are smaller than the originals as they are the cached thumbnail versions.

I also found this page through Google cache that lists many of his designs. If one person tried to retrieve all of the descriptions and images it would take hours to copy and save. If people could volunteer to pull one design and post it here it would make a huge task much easier and, given the time constraint before the bots erase the cached pages, possible. Unfortunately the calculator tools will not work if saved this way but the rest of the descriptions and images can be.

Here is my addition to the coverage of teardrop and other small trailers on the web. I'm no expert, so I won't attempt to give you the background. For discussion on teardrops, go to the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers Forum discussion board. For a photo gallery of teardrop types and makes, go to Nick's Teardrop.

Current Designs

ALREADY ADDED TO THIS THREAD
The Wanderer 8/10
A tiny ’standy’ on a HF trailer

ALREADY ADDED TO THIS THREAD
The Pico-Light
A small, ultralight teardrop

The Ultralight Chassis
A simple home-meade frame

The Grumman 2
A new design in the style of a classic teardrop

The Widget
A 10ft winter version of the Midget

The Compact
A 10ft 'square' with lifting roof

The 2 + 2
A 12ft teardrop with extra berths
for two teenage children

The Campster 12
A 12ft family teardrop

The Simple
The most basic square 4x8ft body to go on a Harbor Freight trailer

The Rimple
A rounded version of The Simple

Lightweight New Cub
A European version of the New Cub

The Allwood
Yes, it’s all wood

Design Tools – Information to help you with your own design

Drawing Ellipses
How to draw ellipses
for absolute beginners.

Trailer Balance
How to calculate hitch weight and an estimating spreadsheet to download

Tongue Strength
How strong does it need to be?

IVA Tools – Information to help Brits get their trailer through the IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) test

The Trailer IVA
under development

Tongue Strength
to ISO7641-1

Superseded Designs – These older designs are included here for completeness and may give you some ideas for your own design.

Trailer for Two
The original 'Trailer for Two' from
1947 Mechanix Illustrated.

New Kampmaster
A lightly modified design for contemporary materials.

'Square Teardrop'
What happens if the classic
teardrop profile is squared-off.

Harbor Freight Trailer
The Trailer for Two redrawn to fit on the popular 4x8ft trailer kit.

New Cub
The most beautiful teardrop shape there is?

The Roswell
A mythical trailer?

Mini-Hopper
Another squared-off mini trailer.

Jim Dandy Sportsman
A version of this unusual 'wrong
way round' teardrop

Superleggera
An ultra-lightweight trailer for the
very smallest cars, in 2D and 3D.

The Amazing Trailerboat
Is this madness or what? A trailer with an integrated dinghy.

Dink Carrier
A small trailerboat

Canoe-Carrying Trailer
A square trailer designed for
carrying a canoe.

Motorcycle Camper

A fold-out camping trailer
design for motorcycles.

The Dinette
A 10ft 'square-ish'

The Scotty 12ft

A rear-door trailer with interior galley from 1959

Pop-Up Truck Campers
Not trailers at all!
Last edited by deleted on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:20 am

I'm not sure these are all the appropriate images to the Wanderer but they were originally labeled as such by Andrew enough that they came up in the search results.

THE WANDERER 8 AND 10
(from no longer online web page: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear59.htm)

The Wanderer design is intended as the largest trailer body that can be safely mounted on a Harbor Freight 4x8 utility trailer kit. The name comes from two designs that inspired it, the Wander Bug and Wander Pup, both in the T&TTT Vintage Plans.

Weight

The weight of the completed laden trailer has been estimated at about 1300lb for the 8 foot and 1400lb for the 10 foot body, which leaves a comfortable margin on the 1720lb payload rating (that is a 1980lb GVW rating when the trailer weight is added) of the HF ‘super duty’ 4x8 trailer. The 5.30-12 ‘C’ range tires of this trailer have a capacity of 2100lb per pair.

This margin could be easily eaten up if the trailer is built any heavier than shown. There is a good area of structure in this design, compared to a teardrop, and increasing the thickness or adding extra layers will quickly push the weight over the capacity of the trailer. A trailer’s weight is determined as much by how heavily each part is built as by the overall design and size, so do not build it any heavier than shown without working out the consequences.

The weight estimate can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet and used to test the effects of any changes in material thicknesses or sizes.

Size

This design provides just about standing headroom in the dropped footwell and this can hide how small this trailer really is. So let’s be clear: only one person can stand up, they can’t lift their arms without hitting something and they cannot get in/out of the trailer without bending over. This is a tiny trailer, not a small trailer!

The body is just wide enough to allow beds to set across the width of the trailer and this allows many different layouts to be used. Two different body lengths, 8 feet and 10 feet, are shown and the 8 foot length may suit some people, but the weight and cost penalty of building at 10 foot is so small that it seems the sensible choice.

But this remains a tiny trailer and that needs to always be remembered. One 10 foot variant is shown with a compartment that can house a porta-potty but there isn’t standing headroom inside and there is no possibility of adding a shower.

The trailer without any roof vent is about 83” tall so it may fit in a standard 7 foot door. The underside of the dropped footwell is about 8.5” above the road – the same as the underside of the axle tube. Making the footwell 2” deeper and the body 2” lower would give the same headroom and allow a low profile roof vent to be added within the 83” height.

The trailer body may be tiny, but it’s still quite a bit bigger than the HF trailer under it, so towing speeds should be limited in windy conditions.

Trailer Modifications

The Harbor Freight trailer kit does require several modifications for this design. These require cutting, drilling and bolting but welding is not required.

The axle is mounted above the springs, instead of below, in order to reduce the trailer deck height. To provide full bump clearance, part of the spring hangers must be cut away to allow the axle to nearly reach the frame rails.

In all layouts one or more cross-members are not fitted and the axle is not installed in the position originally intended by HF in order to give correct trailer balance.

In the 8 foot versions, the last 12” of the frame side rails are cut off and the rearmost cross-member relocated 12” forwards.

In the 10 foot versions, the trailer frame is lengthened 12” using two cross-members inserted inside the side rails. As the spring hanger will be fitted across the joint, some steel packing pieces may need to be added.

Body Construction

This design is unusual in that it is entirely single-skinned – this is to save weight and to allow a fairly tough 1/4” skin. Insulation can be added to the inside between framing and some upholstery fabric glued, pinned and/or stapled to the inside for appearance.

The body overhangs the trailer frame substantially, but the floor is 1/2” ply with no framing. The whole body is supported by two 1x6 beams that lie right on top of the front and back frame cross-members. These beams are a vital part of the structure and must not be left out, cut or laid flat. During construction, a couple of braces should be added to adjacent structure, to prevent the middle of the beams from twisting.

The sidewall framing is laid ‘flat’ to give the maximum internal width, except at the door where it is turned ‘upright’ to give the maximum strength. The roof spars must all be ‘upright’ to span the 78” width and 2x2 nominal spars are used where the roof panel joints fall. These are the only 2x2 timber in the body. Only 1x2 and 1x1 nominal timber can be used elsewhere or the estimated weight will be exceeded.

Last edited by deleted on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:29 am

THE PICO-LIGHT

The Pico-Light design aims to be the smallest, lightest trailer that can sleep two people. It is even smaller than a ‘normal’ 8ftx4ft teardrop and doesn’t have a galley or any cupboards.

However its size and weight make it suitable for the smallest tow vehicles, including large motorcycles. A detailed weight estimate suggests an empty weight of 280 pounds.

This design was inspired by the Eis Piccolo made in Germany in the 1950s and that explains the ‘Pico’ in its name. Some may also recognise that Pico- is the prefix for a very small measure - it means 10^ -12.

The body is all single-skin and uses 1/8” ply for the roof, 1/4” for the sidewalls and 3/8” for the floor. Although the body is very lightly-built, it is self-supporting so only an extremely basic triangular frame is needed for the chassis and more weight is saved by using separate half-axles with 8” wheels.

The PDF plans are fairly comprehensive with every part shown and the 3D model is available in zipped DXF format for CAD users. For SketchUp users, a SKP model is available but even zipped it is 3.5Mbyte, so please email me to be sent a copy.

Warning: this trailer design has not been prototyped and prospective builders need to satisfy them-selves that it is large enough for their needs (and their claustrophobia…). This design is one size smaller than even a normal 8ft teardrop. Building a mock-up of the sleeping space in cardboard and trying it out would be sensible.

Update: Sandy in British Columbia has built a Pico-Light, although he stretched his to an 8ft length, and he reports that all went well. Best of all, he reckons he only loses 5% fuel economy when towing it behind his compact.

And Chris in Victoria, Australia has built himself a Pico-Light, to tow behind his Can-Am Spyder, which he reports it does well.. Chris has also changed the shape a bit.

Action

Plans and illustrations in PDF file

View (~1Mb file)
Download the 3D model as a .DXF file
Download
Weight estimate as Excel spreadsheet
XLS
Weight estimate as PDF
PDF

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 pm

I am sure someone has already covered this, I have always found an answer to my questions on here . I am hoping this might help. I did a google image search for angib.pwp.blueyonder design library and came up with lots of illustrations.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Mike,

If all else fails, I have printed copies of several of the plans that I could scan to PDF, TIFF, JPG, etc.

mikeschn wrote:If you've downloaded any files from Andrew's Design Library, please upload them to this thread. I'll put your files on that page! Click on the Upload Attachment tab below...

It may be me, but I don't see the tab. Am I looking at something incorrect?

Andrew also did some profiles for designs not in the design library. I did find that I had PDFs of the Shasta profile that he did. If interested, please let me know.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Here is the Trailer for Two (superseded design) i believe:
http://www.oldwoodies.com/shoptalk-trailer4.htm
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:36 pm

campster12.pdf
(274.49 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
Campster 12 found at this site: http://documents.mx/documents/campster12.html
pdf attached. The following text appeared on the site:
CAMPSTER 12 Exterior 1:20 CAMPSTER 12 (rev 4) Alternative spats 1:20 CAMPSTER 12 Alternative Exterior - No Skirt 1:20 CAMPSTER 12 Ìnterior 1 - Longitudinal Section 1:20 Swing-down upper bunk makes settee Cabin Storage Galley Storage 6 5 " Alternative hatch with fixed lower taillight panel - limits hatch skin girth to under 48" Alternative fixed upper bunk is 5" wider CAMPSTER 12 Ìnterior 2 - Plan 1:20 Double Dinette 82"x54" Bunks 74"x29" and 74"x24" Closet S t o r a g e ( a b o v e a n d b e l o w ) As alternative, closet can be omitted and bunks run full width, 82" CAMPSTER 12 Ìnterior 3 - Section through Footwell 1:20 Looking forward Looking backward M a x 4 3 " M i n 3 4 " CAMPSTER 12 Chassis 1:20 35 1/2 " 53 " 69 " 82 " 110 1/2 " 114 " 168 " 174 " 6 0 " 7 4 " 3 " 6 6 7 / 8 " 3 6 ° Axle spec: 2200lb capacity 10 deg down start angle 74" hubface, 60" over brackets electric brakes, 205/75-14 wheels 8 1 1 / 2 " All frame members except tongue, A-frame and front rails 2-1/2"x1-1/2"x14ga rectangular tube (alternative x11ga) Tongue 2-1/2"x2-1/2"x11ga square tube A-frame and front rails 2-1/2"x1-1/2"x11ga rectangular tube Steel weight: 168 pounds (206 pounds if all tubes 11ga) CAMPSTER 12 Framing - left side 1:16 NOTES Proposed sidewall construction is: Outer skin - Aluminium or Filon or 1/8" plywood panelling Framing - cut from 3/4" plywood Ìnner skin - 1/8" plywood panelling See Ìnterior Geometry for placement of interior parts 54.3" (Alt 47.5") 43.3" 48.0" 41.5" 34.0" Roof Panel Seams Roof Panel Girths t y p i c a l 2 1 / 2 " 6 3 / 4 " CAMPSTER 12 Framing - right side 1:16 6 3 / 4 " CAMPSTER 12 Ìnterior Geometry 1 1:20 3 " 33 1/2 " 39 1/2 " 72 " 87 1/2 " 112 " 117 " 6 " 6 " 1 4 " 3 1 " 1 7 " 2 8 " 3 1/2 " 24 1/8 " 25 1/2 " 39 1/2 " 64 1/2 " 112 1/8 " 3 5 " CAMPSTER 12 Ìnterior Geometry 2 1:20 1 9 " 3 8 1 / 2 " 2 9 1 / 2 " 4 2 " 3 3 "
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby brx017 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:18 pm

I really needed this one today, and here's what I found by googling it:

"This is Google's cache of http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear81.htm. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Jun 7, 2016 03:45:30 GMT.
The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear81.htm

Unfortunately the downloads are not cached. Does anyone have a copy saved that they could upload somewhere or email to me?
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby mariannf » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:16 pm

aggie79 wrote:Mike,

If all else fails, I have printed copies of several of the plans that I could scan to PDF, TIFF, JPG, etc.

mikeschn wrote:If you've downloaded any files from Andrew's Design Library, please upload them to this thread. I'll put your files on that page! Click on the Upload Attachment tab below...

It may be me, but I don't see the tab. Am I looking at something incorrect?

Andrew also did some profiles for designs not in the design library. I did find that I had PDFs of the Shasta profile that he did. If interested, please let me know.

Take care,
Tom

Hi Tom on behalf of new builders everywhere :) it would be great if you converted the hard copy you have and post it. The designs are an invaluable resource.
Mariann
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby Alan_H » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:26 am

does anyone have the balance-12.pdf file from the trailer balance spreadsheet page?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby imakerux » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:41 pm

I hope this is what you're looking for!
Attachments
Copy of Wanderer Weight.xlsx
(19.26 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
Copy of trailer-balance.xlsx
(113.39 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
Last edited by imakerux on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imakerux
Teardrop Inspector

Postby imakerux » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Here is another file!
Attachments
cubnewh2.pdf
(60.97 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
imakerux
Teardrop Inspector

Postby imakerux » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Two More????
Attachments
Profile-Grumman2.pdf
(79.8 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Profile-Cub.pdf
(87.88 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
imakerux
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!