Ultralight Design?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:45 am

Hi Mike, any possibility of making this thread a sticky. This has got me off the weekender and I can see some awesome possibilities with this. :o

If i get it stuck somewhere 2 people should be able to manhandle it out, up or down :?
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:19 am

Sure thing...

and here's where I'm at, modeling wise...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby weasel » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:35 am

Mike are usin' a springs? If so why not build a axle out of 2'' tubing and buy new hubs or use rear hubs off a front wheel drive GM. I was gonna build mine till I got one for $50. My axle weighs 75#, one out of 2'' with hubs should be lighter and as strong. But if the body is light it don't need a 1500-2000#axle. One more opinion, still think I run 1'' tubing around the bottom to tie axle and springs to keep from flex. Light and strong.
weasel
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:42 am

You bring up another good question... The 3 ply springs that I got with the 1175# trailers are going to be too stiff for a 400# trailer.

So what would you guys do, remove 1 leaf or two?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mitheral » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:33 am

mikeschn wrote:You bring up another good question... The 3 ply springs that I got with the 1175# trailers are going to be too stiff for a 400# trailer.

Mike...

Seems resonable. I'm concerned about what is going to happen when I get two adults plus a two year old and all their clothes, say 350-400 lbs, in a trailer sprung for 400 lbs.

Jacks of some sort might be required.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby MeelisV » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:43 am

like mine 8)

these brackets are standard for trailer like these.
http://www.bestnet.ee/haagised/?lisa=hi ... gis&jutt=2
from there i bought mine axel and those brackets too. easy mount your axel with frame.

A woman has the last word in any argument.
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
MeelisV
The 300 Club

Postby bg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:02 am

mikeschn wrote:You bring up another good question... The 3 ply springs that I got with the 1175# trailers are going to be too stiff for a 400# trailer.

Mike...

I'd start by removing one. I'll be removing two, but then again I'm starting with a pair of 3500 lb springs(4 Leafs).
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 am

I got the wheels on, and realized the fender didn't do a very good job covering the wheels. So I moved the fenders out. They now bolt up to the wood framing.

Of the two tongue methods that Andrew presented, I like the straight tongue better. Yes, the tabs are going to have to be welded to the tongue, but any muffler shop can do that.

Here's what it's looking like...

And since I know some of you are itching to spin this thing around in space, here is a wrl.

http://www.mikenchell.com/Ultralight/ul ... light4.wrl

All you need to view this file is a free Internet Explorer/Firefox plugin called "Cortona". You can get it here... http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/

Have fun...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:33 pm

For anyone who's a bit flummoxed by the x,y coordinates, I've done a profile pdf for the Ultralight in my usual format. It contains the ellipse and arc geometry as well as the profile in traditional 'squared paper' format:

One note of warning: the door opening is not identical to Mike's - the top is the same (3" offset from the roof), but the bottom frame is shown at 3 1/2" high.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:17 pm

Thanks for doing that Andrew... that's a big help...

Weight... are you wondering how much an ultralight weighs? I am too, that's why I am modeling like crazy...

Here's what I have so far...

2 side walls with fenders = 88#
1 torsion box floor = 21#
1 axle and 2 springs = 31#
2 angle asms = 18#
1 tongue with bar stock = 20#
2 wheels with tires = 46#

so far the running total is: 224#
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby alaska teardrop » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:20 pm

mikeschn wrote:I got the wheels on, and realized the fender didn't do a very good job covering the wheels. Mike...
A pair of smooth aluminum round fenders sure would look nice. 8)
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:32 pm

Fred,

It would be easy enough to do...

The builder just has to add round framing around the fender, and attach to that.

I can see many variations of the ultralight...

framing inside instead of outside
painted instead of a woody
aluminum instead of a woody
modernistic fenders
homemade modernistic fenders
round fenders
diamond plate fenders
torsion axle instead of leaf spring axle

and the list goes on and on...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GregB » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:42 pm

Mike and Andrew,

I have been following the Ultralight development with great interest, but primarily for information regarding the frame design. Do you think that this latest frame design with the tongue not attached to the axle structure is robust enough for a full weight, (i.e., 1000 lbs. dry) trailer? I plan on using torsion box construction for floor, sides and ceiling which, once joined, should make effectively a monocoque body.

After rereading Andrew's posts, I am led to believe that this frame may be adequate for most of the tears on this board, since all it really has to do is transfer the force from tow hitch to wheels and keep the body over the wheels. Sorry if this is a digression, but the Minibago wants to know.
:roll:

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:12 pm

Greg,

I'm going to let Andrew chip in here, as he has a better feeling for this stuff than I do.

But I will say that working with Andrew the last few days has been very revealing...

The biggest thing I learned is that the axle supports need to be attached to the side walls, not the floor. Andrew showed me a t-molding arangement that did that very nicely. If I can find the pictures, I'll share that with you.

The other thing I learned is that only the front most and the rear most tongue bolts are effective. All the bolts in the middle don't do a thing. So Andrews's design welds a plate onto the front of the tongue and the rear of the tongue. So now we have two bolts instead of one, at the most critical locations. And any muffler shop can weld those plates on.

I think I need a little more wood where the tongue connects to the torsion box, but I would feel pretty good about any trailer less than 1000#, as long as you have a piece of bar stock on the inside of the cabin... shown here in red...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:57 pm

Mike, If Chell liked my first picture, She'll love this one.

Yup, that's my axle and modifed springs, on my old dining table.

Axle is 40 lbs, springs are 4 lbs each.

Welp, the steel supply opens at 8, I'll call in my order and head over there.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs