SawTooth XL - Update 6.27.11 - Repairs started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby xccelagator » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:29 am

Stomper nice build!!! I have been a long time lurker and TD day dreamer here. A few years back I completely rebuild a pop-up over the period of 9 months for pulling to remote areas via fireroads. My family and I named her Duct Tape Lodge with great affection! I also worked with a weldor to modify the rear to pull a small boat with permit. (Yes it is legal in most states) It gets interesting tandem towing on fireroads!!! I just sold her this pass weekend. I was sad to see her go, but she went to a great family. She did very well for a light lifted pop-up and I can see yours doing extremely well! Here is a pic of her last trip with my son and I a month ago.

My boss "wife" has given me the go ahead to build an offroad TD. I am in the planning stages still but I would like to use your profile a bit? We are planning tandem towing again, Air and a small generator in the build. also and The Grasshopperish shape is abit better for the gravel roads plus we like the front window.

PS.....thanks for sharing your build and back to your build! :thumbsup:

Sincerely,
Dan
xccelagator
Teardrop Builder

Postby stomperxj » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:44 am

Dan - i dont mind you using my profile at all... have fun with it ;)
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby dwillys1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:00 am

Stomper - This trailer is exactly what I've been looking for. Do you have dimensions or other drawings that you would be willing to share?
dwillys1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stomperxj » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:16 pm

dwillys1 wrote:Stomper - This trailer is exactly what I've been looking for. Do you have dimensions or other drawings that you would be willing to share?

I could give you some general dimensions of the profile. all the rest of the stuff i have is severely disorganized...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby dwillys1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:40 am

I did a couple rough sketches for the same style only using a 8' platform. I think it looks pretty good & I'll try to post the finished drawing. I would like to know where you got your windows. I really like the long front window.
dwillys1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stomperxj » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:50 pm

dwillys1 wrote:I did a couple rough sketches for the same style only using a 8' platform. I think it looks pretty good & I'll try to post the finished drawing. I would like to know where you got your windows. I really like the long front window.

here's their ebay store. Great company to deal with...

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Callen-Camper__W0QQ_armrsZ1
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby dwillys1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:15 am

Thanks. I will be picking up a trailer frame this weekend so hopfully I'll be starting soon. (guess I better get my drawings done.) Wish me luck.
dwillys1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stomperxj » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Well this isn't the sort of update I wanted to post but wanted to let my online teardrop friends know what is happening...

My house is going up for short sale at the end of this month and I'm having to move back into my parents house for at least the next 6 months unless some spectacular job comes around in the next month or so. The trailer is going into storage in a couple weeks unfortunately. I'm staying positive though and am going to use this as a chance to start over, get some things paid off and have a clean slate in about a year hopefully. Dad has a shop at his place so my spring time frame of getting some progress on the trailer isnt that far fetched....

If life was easy, it would be boring... at least that's what i keep telling myself :)

Thanks for all the good feedback. I'm still on schedule according to "teardrop time" so i'm not worried... :lol:
Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby dwillys1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Stay positive. We all do what we have to in order to survive. My wife son & I had to move in with my mother-in-law about 8 years ago to get back on our feet and although it was difficult it was the best for my family.
dwillys1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:09 am

Life will throw curve balls at you - don't let them get you down.

I've had to do the move back in with parents experience twice - for 18 months the first time and 6 months the second time. Both times I was out of work. Although they didn't ask for any rent, my father is not too handy, so I was able to do some home repairs for to earn my keep.

Things will improve; it just may take some more time.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby dsmith » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:40 am

Been there done that! I have a souvenir t-shirt, ball cap, and sun glasses to match! :lol:
I love watching your build, and your designs! Keep the faith and we'll be praying for you!
dsmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chris00WJ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Any updates? Hopefully things have improved for you in the last month or so.

If you were anywhere near me, I'd get you some work.
Chris00WJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby stomperxj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 am

Good news! I finally scored a real job. IT tech support for a local insurance company. Today is the end of my first week.... I never thought i'd be out of a job for 14 months but its finally over.... So as soon as the weather breaks and i can get some finances squared away I'll be pulling the sawtooth out of storage and buying some CPES :)

:thumbsup:
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:21 am

That is great news, look forward to seeing the Sawtooth on the road.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby bve » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:40 am

Congrats on the new job, I can imagine it's quite the relief to be working again.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs