My offroad Camper

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Wright » Fri May 02, 2008 9:52 am

Very Very nice... Man I'm soo jealous... must mean I need to get to work... :lol:

You did a fantastic job... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby Steve F » Mon May 05, 2008 5:24 am

Nice big battery turned up with the courier today, time to start the electrical. As an aside it passed the blueslip inspection on Saturday and now I'm just waiting for a VIN number and then I go weigh it and get my plates :)

Anyway, here's the battery compared to a stock Jeep sized battery. It was second hand and had been used as part of a backup system. It's been on float charge the whole time and even now after a week or two at least it's 13V. Oh, and it just fits in my battery box.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Fri May 09, 2008 8:36 pm

Just went up to the local weighbridge and stuck it on, I cant get a proper ticket yet as I'm waiting on the VIN number but since I had some time and they weren't going to charge me......

Anyway, 430kg (946 Lbs) total weight with a tongue weight (which I checked before I went) of 46kg (101 Lbs) :) Cant ask for much better than that considering the weight of the wheels tyres springs and axle etc in an offroad trailer.

It will get a little heavier with tongue box and interior cabinets but probably no more than 50kg (110 Lbs).

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 10, 2008 9:42 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Great weight! You will be almost complete soon. 8)

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

AWSOME

Postby 05liberty » Wed May 14, 2008 8:45 am

I love the look of your build and the photo documentation is excellent.. I am still in the planning stages of my build but I think ( if its ok with you ) I would like to use a lot of the ideas you have incorporated as inspiration for my build.
Wondering how it tows behind your Cherokee ? ( I assume you have the 4L) . I have a 3.7 Liberty so the weight of a similar unit shouldn’t be a problem .
Keep updates coming as I would love to know how it performs. :thumbsup:
Dave

05liberty
Teardrop Master

Re: AWSOME

Postby Steve F » Thu May 15, 2008 9:00 am

05liberty wrote:I love the look of your build and the photo documentation is excellent.. I am still in the planning stages of my build but I think ( if its ok with you ) I would like to use a lot of the ideas you have incorporated as inspiration for my build.
Wondering how it tows behind your Cherokee ? ( I assume you have the 4L) . I have a 3.7 Liberty so the weight of a similar unit shouldn’t be a problem .
Keep updates coming as I would love to know how it performs. :thumbsup:

Yep, the 4.0, it tows really well, I think the tyres need a bit more air though as they were a bit bouncy and looking in the mirror I could see them get a bit of a bounce up on bumps. The wheels have sat for a year so I guess I should check them and air up a bit :) Got some checkplate on ebay today, an 8x4 sheet. I'll start on cutting and trimming with it on the weekend.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Joanne » Thu May 15, 2008 10:02 am

Steve,

That's a great looking rig! The matching color really ties it all together.

I like it! :thumbsup:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby bve » Mon May 19, 2008 11:17 pm

So have ya tested it on the trails yet?

Looking good. Need more pictures though ;)
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue May 20, 2008 4:52 am

Steve F wrote:I think the tyres need a bit more air though as they were a bit bouncy and looking in the mirror I could see them get a bit of a bounce up on bumps.

That sounds more like too much air or, more likely, too stiff springs. Sharp bouncing is usually a sign of suspension that's too hard.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Steve F » Tue May 20, 2008 6:52 am

angib wrote:
Steve F wrote:I think the tyres need a bit more air though as they were a bit bouncy and looking in the mirror I could see them get a bit of a bounce up on bumps.

That sounds more like too much air or, more likely, too stiff springs. Sharp bouncing is usually a sign of suspension that's too hard.

Andrew

It was the tyres for sure, they were bagging and bouncing, when I checked they were running 18psi. It wasn't a sharp bouncing but a soft tyre wobbly bounce, not coming off the ground or anything like that.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Tue May 20, 2008 6:54 am

bve wrote:So have ya tested it on the trails yet?

Looking good. Need more pictures though ;)

Still waiting on the plates so cant really tow it anywhere yet, I haven't done much more, been working on the inside a bit, paid work is keeping me busy :(

Hopefully a decent amount will get done on Saturday.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Tue May 20, 2008 8:31 am

Steve F wrote:It was the tyres for sure....

Ah! A wobbly bounce, not a jiggly bounce..... Gotcha. :thumbsup:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Wright » Wed May 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Steve F wrote:Got some checkplate on ebay today, an 8x4 sheet.

ok, I'm a dumb 'Merican here... Checkplate = Diamondplate, did I make that jump ok, or fall on my Arse??? :oops:
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby Steve F » Mon May 26, 2008 5:25 am

Wright wrote:
Steve F wrote:Got some checkplate on ebay today, an 8x4 sheet.

ok, I'm a dumb 'Merican here... Checkplate = Diamondplate, did I make that jump ok, or fall on my Arse??? :oops:

Checkerplate (because it looks like a checkers board

DiamondPlate

Although you'll see both called both :) I actually have the diamond plate.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:14 am

Finally got back on to this for a few more hours of work, I've been collecting electrical bits and have LEDS, Volt and AMP meters with a 50AMP shunt as well as a few other bits and pieces. Also started building the tongue box for the front to store chairs etc.

Anyway, a couple of interior pics.

The storage at the head end with the long LEDs that will be used for lighting up here, bright enough to comfortably read by and help get rid of the dark spots. These were taken at night with no flash so all lighting is from the LED's, in the flesh it looks much brighter.

The storage pockets are big enough for books and CD's etc and at the top of the pockets will be a shelf that end up being below the window, perfect for putting the beer and chips on whilst watching a movie :)

I like this one as it's nice and crisp and shows the nice grain in the wood. Cant wait to get the polyurethane on the interior.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs